Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maytag A490 - Series 02 Washer - Timer does not advance

The Timer on my Maytag A490 - Series 02 Washer (~25 Years Old) does
not advance. Moving the timer manually does allow the washer to
advance cycles. How can I determine if I need to replace the Timer
Motor, full Timer Assembly or take another action.

When I took off the control panel, I did notice that the Timer Motor
was quite warm to the touch.

Thanks for any input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 7:55 pm, Bob wrote:
wrote:
The Timer on my Maytag A490 - Series 02 Washer (~25 Years Old) does
not advance. Moving the timer manually does allow the washer to
advance cycles. How can I determine if I need to replace the Timer
Motor, full Timer Assembly or take another action.

There is usually something on the timer motor you can see to determine
if it's working. In most washers, the motor advances the main timer cam
one ratchet click every 30 or so seconds. If the washer has a water
level sensor, the timer doesn't get power until the tub is filled. If
the level switch is at fault, the timer should advance during non-fill
cycles. A common problem is the stripped gears in the timer motor.
This is usually evident upon visual examination of the timer motor
and escapement after removing it from the rest of the timer assembly.

Bob -
Thanks for the feedback. Upon closer inspection of the timer motor,
I did find that the gears appear to be stripped. The motor turns
freely when removed from the assembly, but stops/skips when pressure
is applied.

Thanks again. John