Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Laundry Water Taps Q.

I have a leak in my hot water tap for the clothes washer, it's coming from
where the tap was soldered to the copper pipe coming from the wall. I tried
to heat up the solder to remove it to replace it, put I could not get the
solder to melt? I was using one of those blue torches, but could not get it
hot enough, what was I doing wrong?? What would I need to get that tap
off???

Thanks

--
Steve
http://jackpot.netwinner.com/?signupCode=vwprheak

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveC wrote:
I have a leak in my hot water tap for the clothes washer, it's coming from
where the tap was soldered to the copper pipe coming from the wall. I tried
to heat up the solder to remove it to replace it, put I could not get the
solder to melt? I was using one of those blue torches, but could not get it
hot enough, what was I doing wrong?? What would I need to get that tap
off???

Thanks

Your problem is probably that the water in the pipe is sinking the heat
from the torch. Try letting some of the water out of the pipe you are
soldering so that it does not effect the heat. Sometimes this involves
opening a lower faucet and the one you are working on so that the water
level drops.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 8:12�am, Ken wrote:
SteveC wrote:
I have a leak in my hot water tap for the clothes washer, it's coming from
where the tap was soldered to the copper pipe coming from the wall. �I tried
to heat up the solder to remove it to replace it, put I could not get the
solder to melt? �I was using one of those blue torches, but could not get it
hot enough, what was I doing wrong?? �What would I need to get that tap
off???

Thanks

� � � � Your problem is probably that the water in the pipe is sinking the heat
from the torch. �Try letting some of the water out of the pipe you are
soldering so that it does not effect the heat. �Sometimes this involves
opening a lower faucet and the one you are working on so that the water
level drops.

all water must be out of line and for practical purposes the
connection must be taken apart completely, everything cleaned, fluxed,
and resoldered
Posted to alt.home.repair

it will have to be completely drained before you can get it hot enough.
even one drop of water will prevent proper heating. Best thing you can do
is cut it off and replace the valve with a compression type valve.

"SteveC" wrote in message
I have a leak in my hot water tap for the clothes washer, it's coming from
where the tap was soldered to the copper pipe coming from the wall. I
tried to heat up the solder to remove it to replace it, put I could not get
the solder to melt? I was using one of those blue torches, but could not
get it hot enough, what was I doing wrong?? What would I need to get that
tap off???

Thanks

--
Steve
http://jackpot.netwinner.com/?signupCode=vwprheak

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve,

By "blue" bottle I'm guessing that you are tyrying to use propane gas.
The new "no-lead:"solders don't wotk well with this gas, it's not hot
enough.
As others have said, all water musy be drained from the joint. You need
to disassemble the spigot so as to not damage the rubber parts.

Dave M.