Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing aluminum windows (& frames) with minimal damage

Any tips or links to websites for effectively removing aluminum windows,
frame and all, from a previously exterior wall?

Removing the window with ample force (e.g. sledge) would be easy. However
doing it without destroying much of the surrounding wall is not so clear.

The aluminum frame is obviously connected with a flange which goes into the
wall. Somehow this flange must be ripped out or cut from the rest of the
frame.

I could envision a LOT of creative hacksaw work could do the job but that
would require DAYS of work, since the frame would have to be cut thru every
few inches.

No other saw I have could cut into the edge and any I can imagine which
could cut through the aluminum would tear up the wall in the process.

I did a google search and thus far nothing came up. I imagine there are
some techniques or tools used for this, because people replace old aluminum
windows all the time, especially when damaged. How are the originals
removed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"StarMan" wrote in message
. ..
Any tips or links to websites for effectively removing aluminum windows,
frame and all, from a previously exterior wall?

Removing the window with ample force (e.g. sledge) would be easy. However
doing it without destroying much of the surrounding wall is not so clear.

The aluminum frame is obviously connected with a flange which goes into
the
wall. Somehow this flange must be ripped out or cut from the rest of the
frame.

If we knew what the wall was made of, we could better help you. Brick?
Concrete? Wood and siding?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 5, 12:40 pm, "StarMan" wrote:
[...]

How about renting a Sawzall?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 5, 10:19 pm, Ron wrote:
[...]

BTW, are you sure that they have flanges (brick fins)? All of the
aluminium windows in my house screw into vertical studs on each side
of the window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:

No other saw I have could cut into the edge and any I can imagine
which could cut through the aluminum would tear up the wall in the
process.

I did a google search and thus far nothing came up. I imagine there
are some techniques or tools used for this, because people replace
old aluminum windows all the time, especially when damaged. How are
the originals removed?

How about renting a Sawzall?

You can BUY one for $17 from Harbor Freight. It would last at least for one
job...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4095