Posted to alt.home.repair

Default range hood replacement wiring question

I am replacing the microwave/range hood with a new ranghood(no
microwave).
The existing wiring in the cabinet above the stove is a two socket
outlet, and the wiring for the range hood are two loose wires.
What is needed to wire this properly?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 3:16 am, audioninja wrote:
I am replacing the microwave/range hood with a new ranghood(no
microwave).
The existing wiring in the cabinet above the stove is a two socket
outlet, and the wiring for the range hood are two loose wires.
What is needed to wire this properly?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Depends on the voltage and current and your country's wiring
practices.
It's too general a question.

Rather like saying how how much flour is needed to make some bread?
Without specifying the size or number of loaves of or the type of
bread! Or the type of flour?

Since this is an internationaly read news group; what country is the
OP (original poster) in?

Assuming for a moment you are somewhere in North or South America
using typical 115/230 3 wire plus GROUND domestic electrical service
it sounds as if your existing microwave/hood unit plugs into a
standard duplex outlet. The electrical 'cord' as it is sometimes
called, between the now removed unit and the outlet is/was presumably
placed so that it is/was shielded from the heat and fumes being drawn
from above the stove?

Without much info to go on it appears that the new hood needs to be
equipped with a similar 'cord' with a 3 pin plug on the end it to be
plugged into same outlet. The cord will need to be attached to the
hood using proper electrical pieces such as a cable connector/anchor,
Burndy wire nuts etc. An electrician or competent do it yourself-er is
likely to have those items on hand. The connection will probably be
made inside a small metal compartment which is part of the new unit;
'proper grounding will be important'. There are likely to be
instructions in the box of the new fan unit if brand new?

The new fan will most likely use less electrical current than the
existing unit so it can, most likely, be plugged into the existing
outlet. If you are scrapping the existing unit and its cord is in good
condition you may be able to cut it off and use it; making EXACTLY the
right connections etc. including ground. The electrical cord should
not be exposed to the heat or fumes from the cooking top of the stove
etc.

Alternatively may be necessary to get an electrician to remove the
duplex outlet and using standard bits and pieces, possibly including a
short run of that flexible but metal armoured electrical cable; most
likely #12 AWG or #14 AWG depending on the ampere rating of the other
wiring in that circuit, wire from the outlet box to the hood in
standard manner. This likely to be needed if the new wiring is on the
surface and/or not protected. See wiring practices and insurance/codes
in your area. Not needed is cans of beans eventually chafing through
wiring on the surface not designed for that type of use!

Most worrying is the mention of ''two loose wires". Most range hoods
are of metal; is yours? So it is essential to meet code electrical and
your insurance policy requirements, in most/all countries, to ground
that metal correctly, not just hitch up a couple of wires and plug it
in somewhere; ungrounded. Even if it appears to work OK!

Sorry to be so vague; the above is full of 'possibly' and 'most
likely' but the manner in which the question is asked suggests some
potential for mis-wiring. It has also been assumed, as mentioned, the
original question is posted by someone in a North American type wiring
area such as USA, Canada, Mexico?

If OP is in Europe, Australasia, Middle East, Japan etc. which are
230 volt and different wiring practices pleas re-submit.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The typical microwave range hood has a cord and plug coming off the top,
right side of the unit. It's designed to go through a hole in the upper
cabinet and plugged into an outlet. The typical standard range hood will
have two knockouts for a cable to be connected to it, one on top, right
side, and one at the back, right of center. Unlike the microwave, these
units have a junction box for the connection. You can remove the outlet and
install the cable feeding the outlet into whichever knockout is more
convenient, then attach the white and black wires to the unit's white and
black wires. There is usually a green screw in the junction box to attach
the ground wire.

"audioninja" wrote in message
I am replacing the microwave/range hood with a new ranghood(no
microwave).
The existing wiring in the cabinet above the stove is a two socket
outlet, and the wiring for the range hood are two loose wires.
What is needed to wire this properly?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"audioninja" wrote in message
I am replacing the microwave/range hood with a new ranghood(no
microwave).
The existing wiring in the cabinet above the stove is a two socket
outlet, and the wiring for the range hood are two loose wires.
What is needed to wire this properly?
Any help would be much appreciated.

I think the easiest thing to do is put a cord on the hood and plug it into
the outlet above. I think Home Depot sells small appliance cords with the
plug on them already. Make sure that you connect the ground wire to the
hood. You will probably need to drill a hole in the cabinet at the location
where the cord enters the hood knockout. Be sure to use a connector in the
knockout on the hood. A Romex connector should suffice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 1:16 am, audioninja wrote:
I am replacing the microwave/range hood with a new ranghood(no
microwave).
The existing wiring in the cabinet above the stove is a two socket
outlet, and the wiring for the range hood are two loose wires.
What is needed to wire this properly?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Two loose wires? No ground? Does that sound strange to anyone?

Didn't the unit come with a manual explaining how to connect the power?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Nov 29, 1:16 am, audioninja wrote:
I am replacing the microwave/range hood with a new ranghood(no
microwave).
The existing wiring in the cabinet above the stove is a two socket
outlet, and the wiring for the range hood are two loose wires.
What is needed to wire this properly?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Two loose wires? No ground? Does that sound strange to anyone?

The ground connection is usually a green screw on these things.

Didn't the unit come with a manual explaining how to connect the power?

Posted to alt.home.repair

First of all this is my first time posting in a Google group so I hope
I'm adding to the thread the correct way (reply, reply to author).

Anyway, thank you all so much for your quick suggestions. Let me clear
up a few things here. Terry as you assumed, I am in North America
(US).
There are already holes drilled for a plug because the microwave used
a plug, so that is all taken care of. I just need to wire it up.

"Two loose wires? No ground? Does that sound strange to anyone?
Didn't the unit come with a manual explaining how to connect the
power? "

There is a green ground wire connected to a screw, I'm sorry I forgot
to mention that.
And I believe the manual said something like "hook up to house
wiring".

"I think the easiest thing to do is put a cord on the hood and plug it
into
the outlet above"

John, I like that idea best. You said to make sure to connect the
ground to the hood, but wouldn't I be
doing this already by attaching a cord to it (as it has a black,
white, and green wire for ground I assumed)
What's a romex connector?

Here are some pictures.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t/DSCF2851.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t/DSCF2857.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t/DSCF2856.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 7:42 am, audioninja wrote:
[...]

It looks like your pictures tell enough of the story that attaching
the cord, black to black, white to white and green to green should do
it for you. Use the correct size wire nuts and you'll be all set. The
cord should say what size wire it uses (possibly 12) and the wire nut
package will tell you what size nut to use. Since the cord has the
larger wires, use those to determine the wire nut size.

A romex connector is a metal ring that will clamp down on the cord and
hold it securely to the hood's junction box. I can't see the hole
where the wires come out, but hopefully it will fit one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Romex-Connecto.../dp/B0003S2MEQ

They make plastic snap in connectors, but I prefer the old fashion
metal ones like the one shown. The ring goes inside the junction box
and the clamp remains external. I typically postion the clamp so that
the screws are about a 1/4 turn from where I want them to end up, then
hand tighten the ring. I then grab a pair of pliers, insert the jaws
into the clamp and give it the 1/4 turn required to tighten it up.

There are hundreds of styles of grommets and wire clamps out there, so
if a Romex connector won't fit, I'm sure you'll find some type of
clamp that will. You do *not* want to leave the cord loose in the hole
since vibration may eventually cause the cord to wear out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"audioninja" wrote in message
First of all this is my first time posting in a Google group so I hope
I'm adding to the thread the correct way (reply, reply to author).

Anyway, thank you all so much for your quick suggestions. Let me clear
up a few things here. Terry as you assumed, I am in North America
(US).
There are already holes drilled for a plug because the microwave used
a plug, so that is all taken care of. I just need to wire it up.

Just make sure that the excess cord is in the cabinet above and not jammed
between the hood and the bottom of the cabinet

"Two loose wires? No ground? Does that sound strange to anyone?
Didn't the unit come with a manual explaining how to connect the
power? "

There is a green ground wire connected to a screw, I'm sorry I forgot
to mention that.
And I believe the manual said something like "hook up to house
wiring".

"I think the easiest thing to do is put a cord on the hood and plug it
into
the outlet above"

John, I like that idea best. You said to make sure to connect the
ground to the hood, but wouldn't I be
doing this already by attaching a cord to it (as it has a black,
white, and green wire for ground I assumed)

Yes you would.

What's a romex connector?

As someone else mentioned it is a two screw clamp type connector that will
fit in the knockout opening which is 1/2" trade size, but 7/8" in actual
size. There are also cord connectors as well, but I don't know what their
availability is at a home center.

Here are some pictures.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t/DSCF2851.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t/DSCF2857.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t/DSCF2856.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

Range Hood Wiring [email protected] Home Repair 16 March 20th 19 10:22 AM
Old Nutone range hood wiring question. [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 1st 06 02:25 AM
Range hood question Sasha Home Repair 9 May 5th 05 05:29 PM
Range hood vs. over-the-range microwave - which vent is better? Stan Home Repair 6 January 15th 05 02:45 AM
Range Hood Replacement/Upgrade Question Lee Home Ownership 2 August 21st 04 12:59 PM