Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Replacing shallow concrete foundations - worth it?

Hi,

Our N.Z. timber house is on a slope. The side of the house facing the valley
has concrete foundations that are very, very shallow (probably no more than
8-10 inches deep). My guess is that when it is raining very very hard, and
for a long time, the foundations can move a little bit. Another issue is
when kids are playing with the garden hose... (ouch!)

We've had to replace one foundation that was kind of going down the valley
actually.
Four other concrete foundations could be replaced.

The inside of the house is quite new, I'm scared that the repiling process
may damage the nice work that been done inside.
Is the repiling process safe? Is the house likely to move when repiling?

The house is on clay.

Any opinions?

Thanks for any advice.