Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
CWatters[_2_] CWatters[_2_] is offline

Default Replacing shallow concrete foundations - worth it?

"jloomis" wrote in message
Hi John,
Usually on a slope grade a foundation is roughly the depth of.....
level out 5 feet from the grade and measure the distance to the ground at

5
feet.
The footing should be this depth plus 18 inches.....
So if I leveled out from grade 5 feet and measured down to grade and had 2
feet I would build a footing that was 3 feet 6 inches deep.
This is rule of thumb and not necessarily engineered for your soil type.
A person could build a retaining wall out at a distance and backfill this

support the existing faulty condition also.....
Good wishes.
jloomis

Interesting. I think that's quite a bit shallower then we would dig here in
the UK on clay. Any trees around and you can be talking three times that
depth - in which case piled foundations usually work out cheaper.