Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TV

Need to replace a 19"TV we have in our kitchen Really don't need a lot of
bells etc. But would like a digital tuner . I see many crt sets for under
$200 and I now see Sylvania has a LCD set with rectangular screen for about
$240.
I don't feel wide screen is that big a deal ,but taking the weight and
location of the set(up on a wall mount) I am considering the Sylvania.
Any advice?
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
Need to replace a 19"TV we have in our kitchen Really don't need a lot of
bells etc. But would like a digital tuner . I see many crt sets for under
$200 and I now see Sylvania has a LCD set with rectangular screen for
about $240.
I don't feel wide screen is that big a deal ,but taking the weight and
location of the set(up on a wall mount) I am considering the Sylvania.
Any advice?

LCD TVs are very nice ... but don't know anything about Sylvania. These old
brands (like RCA) have little or no connection to the original companies.

Check the:

1/ Warranty offered
2/ Repair situation (one cannot get parts for some sets now offered)
3/ Ratings and customer satisfaction (Google might be very helpful here)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:14:19 -0500, "Charles"
wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
Need to replace a 19"TV we have in our kitchen Really don't need a lot of
bells etc. But would like a digital tuner . I see many crt sets for under
$200 and I now see Sylvania has a LCD set with rectangular screen for
about $240.
I don't feel wide screen is that big a deal ,but taking the weight and
location of the set(up on a wall mount) I am considering the Sylvania.
Any advice?

LCD TVs are very nice ... but don't know anything about Sylvania. These old
brands (like RCA) have little or no connection to the original companies.

Current RCAs seem unreliable. Sylvania looks good.

Check the:

1/ Warranty offered
2/ Repair situation (one cannot get parts for some sets now offered)
3/ Ratings and customer satisfaction (Google might be very helpful here)

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Need to replace a 19"TV we have in our kitchen Really don't need a lot of
bells etc. But would like a digital tuner . I see many crt sets for under
$200 and I now see Sylvania has a LCD set with rectangular screen for about
$240.
I don't feel wide screen is that big a deal ,but taking the weight and
location of the set(up on a wall mount) I am considering the Sylvania.
Any advice?
Frank

Bought a 15 inch Sylvania LCD for the kitchen last year. Cost about
$200. We like it. With the HD thing coming on you might also take it
into consideration with any new TV.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

Frank wrote:
Need to replace a 19"TV we have in our kitchen Really don't need a lot of
bells etc. But would like a digital tuner . I see many crt sets for under
$200 and I now see Sylvania has a LCD set with rectangular screen for
about
$240.
I don't feel wide screen is that big a deal ,but taking the weight and
location of the set(up on a wall mount) I am considering the Sylvania.
Any advice?
Frank

Bought a 15 inch Sylvania LCD for the kitchen last year. Cost about
$200. We like it. With the HD thing coming on you might also take it
into consideration with any new TV.

Frank

Although if you are on cable that might be less of a problem. Last
I heard they were going to have to offer converters. With such a big
base, it would seem to be in their best interests.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Need to replace a 19"TV we have in our kitchen

[snip]
Bought a 15 inch Sylvania LCD for the kitchen last year.

[snip]

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here trying to figure out why in hell anybody would
want a TV in his kitchen.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Need to replace a 19"TV we have in our kitchen

[snip]
Bought a 15 inch Sylvania LCD for the kitchen last year.

[snip]

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here trying to figure out why in hell anybody would
want a TV in his kitchen.

For those of us who live alone, so we can watch the news while we eat
dinner and read the paper.

If anybody else lived here, I would of course talk to them instead.

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TV -dtv site

Here's the latest on dtv, I'm waiting for the local on-air
stations to give away boxes. It happened back in the UHF
days. You'll just be SOL with your battery/portable sets.
The gument set aside 1 1/2 BILLION for education/converters,
but that's only 1 percent of the annual BUSH WAR cost ;-)

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html

-larry / dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well maybe as to not miss a show whilst cooking. Or maybe watching the
morning news (for those who watch news) during breakfast. Just a couple of
possibilities i can think of. Have you seen the new 'friges with a tv
screen in them?

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here trying to figure out why in hell anybody would
want a TV in his kitchen.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Need to replace a 19"TV we have in our kitchen

[snip]
Bought a 15 inch Sylvania LCD for the kitchen last year.

[snip]

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here trying to figure out why in hell anybody would
want a TV in his kitchen.

Are you married? My wife would want one in every room if I could string
cable to it. As it is we only have in six rooms.

Once rented a hotel room in DC that had a TV in the bathroom. It was on
a swivel wall mount so you could view no matter what you were doing there

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Need to replace a 19"TV we have in our kitchen

[snip]
Bought a 15 inch Sylvania LCD for the kitchen last year.

[snip]

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here trying to figure out why in hell anybody would
want a TV in his kitchen.

Are you married? My wife would want one in every room if I could string
cable to it. As it is we only have in six rooms.

Once rented a hotel room in DC that had a TV in the bathroom. It was on
a swivel wall mount so you could view no matter what you were doing there

Frank

Mine is viewable from both tub and toilet. I don't use it much for
broadcasts, but for monitoring the security camera at the front door.
It helps to know when it's worth answering the door.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

It helps to know when it's worth answering the door.

That's easy: ONLY if it's Ed McMahon with a TV crew.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am considering the Sylvania.
Any advice?
Frank

I have only bought one Sylvania product in my life and I will NEVER
EVER buy another one. It was junk and CS was non existence.

Good Luck,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:45:04 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

I am considering the Sylvania.
Any advice?
Frank

I have only bought one Sylvania product in my life and I will NEVER
EVER buy another one. It was junk and CS was non existence.

Good Luck,

Expect bad or nonexistent CS with any brand. Hope you don't need it.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
I am considering the Sylvania.
Any advice?
Frank

I have only bought one Sylvania product in my life and I will NEVER
EVER buy another one. It was junk and CS was non existence.

Good Luck,

Expect bad or nonexistent CS with any brand. Hope you don't need it.

Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin

TV gets any more complicated (and/or more expensive) going to give it
up; right now have one analog set (although am allowed two
connections) to analog cable; about 50 channels including several
useless auto sales and other 'selling' channels. Various analog cables
around the house could be used to hook up other sets. Needing, at
most, a booster amplifier with splitters. Also with anaolg the
programme is there instantly when one flips to a channel! Nice and
simple.
After all one only gets about 18 minutes of actual programming per
half hour with frequent interruptions!
Eventually we will get our TV via the internet, one can already get
video-clips etc. even complete movies can be downloaded over-night and
viewed next day!
Not sure how important all this Digital High Def. stuff is. Maybe it's
like having a high quality audio sytem to listen to music? But for 99%
of TV viewing the quality of the analog is fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

After all one only gets about 18 minutes of actual programming per
half hour with frequent interruptions!

My experience with 30 second skips on my Dish DVR remote agree.

Not sure how important all this Digital High Def. stuff is. Maybe it's
like having a high quality audio sytem to listen to music? But for 99%
of TV viewing the quality of the analog is fine.

After a years use of HiDef I can't agree.

First of all, digital broadcasts alone (forget HiDef for a moment) make
analog broadcast look terrible in contrast. You can't see any scan lines as
you can with analog, the picture isn't interlaced, no snow or other
interference. It's an entirely different class of service.

Second, HiDef is for real for many types of broadcast (sports, National
Geo-type stuff, movies, etc.) It's far less compelling for talking heads,
sitcoms, weather channel, etc.

Just my experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
I am considering the Sylvania.
Any advice?
Frank

I have only bought one Sylvania product in my life and I will NEVER
EVER buy another one. It was junk and CS was non existence.

Good Luck,

Expect bad or nonexistent CS with any brand. Hope you don't need it.

[snip copy of sig]

TV gets any more complicated (and/or more expensive) going to give it
up; right now have one analog set (although am allowed two
connections)

They used to do that (charge extra for additional devices) around
here, but that changed. How are they going to KNOW how many devices
(without cable box) you have connected unless they tell them?

to analog cable; about 50 channels including several
useless auto sales and other 'selling' channels.

And they make you pay for them.

Various analog cables
around the house could be used to hook up other sets. Needing, at
most, a booster amplifier with splitters. Also with anaolg the
programme is there instantly when one flips to a channel! Nice and
simple.
After all one only gets about 18 minutes of actual programming per
half hour with frequent interruptions!
Eventually we will get our TV via the internet,

I already get much of what I watch that way. It does need a fast
connection.

one can already get
video-clips etc. even complete movies can be downloaded over-night and
viewed next day!
Not sure how important all this Digital High Def. stuff is. Maybe it's
like having a high quality audio sytem to listen to music? But for 99%
of TV viewing the quality of the analog is fine.

And it's NOT analog that limits your quality so much. Component video
(YUV, YPbPr) and RGB (VGA) are ANALOG systems and they do quite well.
What limits quality is NTSC.

BTW, no matter how much you make digital, you can't eliminate the
digital/analog conversion. Human eyes do not see in digital.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

Supposedly, all cable companies are REQUIRED to have analog service
until 2012.

From my cable company
On February 17, 2009 all High Power Broadcast stations such as ABC, CBS,
NBC, PBS, FOX, My Network TV, etc will start sending a Digital Signal
instead of an Analog signal. What does this mean for the consumer? Well if
you are a cable subscriber this won't affect you a bit! It is the
responsibility of the cable system to receive the digital transmissions and
send them out through the cable in analog format. Any cable subscriber will
not have to worry about their analog television becoming obsolete.

If you want to know more about how this will affect you, click on the
following links that will provide you with just about everything you need to
know.

http://www.dtvtransition.org

http://www.dtv.gov

Posted to alt.home.repair

don't hold yer breath....

wrote in message

You will have to get used to digital. Your cable company will be
stopping the analog next summer