Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestions for insulation above drop down stairs

Anyone have a suggestion for insulation to go above drop down stairs.
Something that is fairly convenient to move out of the way as we go into the
attic fairly often. Either home made or commercial.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

On Nov 16, 11:10 am, "Jeff" wrote:
Anyone have a suggestion for insulation to go above drop down stairs.
Something that is fairly convenient to move out of the way as we go into the
attic fairly often. Either home made or commercial.

Thanks

I recently saw an ad for a thin styro shell that fits into the space.
Folded stairs fit into it as you close the door. Obviously
lightweight and easily moved. Not exactly R30 but it will help seal
the gap around the door and reduce heat loss.

I was actually thinking of getting one myself. If I find the link,
I'll repost here.

--Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 11:10 am, "Jeff" wrote:
Anyone have a suggestion for insulation to go above drop down stairs.
Something that is fairly convenient to move out of the way as we go into the
attic fairly often. Either home made or commercial.

Thanks

At the Borg they have a styrofoam item that looks like a bathtub made
to do that job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 11:10 am, "Jeff" wrote:
Anyone have a suggestion for insulation to go above drop down stairs.
Something that is fairly convenient to move out of the way as we go into the
attic fairly often. Either home made or commercial.

Thanks

Instructions for making your own attic stair cover can be found he

http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/.../mytopic=11410

Posted to alt.home.repair

my grandfather made this years ago. The stairs was hinged on one end and the
foam on the other. As the stairs went down a cable pulled the foam and
plywood up. The cable could also be used to pull yourself up the stairs
because the plywood would touch up against the roof and the cables were
pretty tight.

/
/
/