Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The correct way to drain a water heater is to.....

Hi, I need to drain my water heater and am a bit confused.

First off, there are no directions on the outside of the water heater.
It is about 7 years old.

I did a search online and found many sites that explain now to do it,
but my question is some sites say to open the pressure relief valve, and
some sites say to leave it alone......Can someone give me any advice on
which method to follow.....Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pamela G. wrote:
Hi, I need to drain my water heater and am a bit confused.

First off, there are no directions on the outside of the water heater.
It is about 7 years old.

I did a search online and found many sites that explain now to do it,
but my question is some sites say to open the pressure relief valve, and
some sites say to leave it alone......Can someone give me any advice on
which method to follow.....Thanks!!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...o/4213452.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pamela G." wrote in message

Hi, I need to drain my water heater and am a bit confused.

First off, there are no directions on the outside of the water heater.
It is about 7 years old.

I did a search online and found many sites that explain now to do it,
but my question is some sites say to open the pressure relief valve, and
some sites say to leave it alone......Can someone give me any advice on
which method to follow.....Thanks!!- Hide quoted text -

if it hasnt been drained in 7 years just leave it alone, as any
disturbance to it at this time may cause a failure sooner.

from the expert plumber rich T on this old house
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pamela G." wrote in message

Hi, I need to drain my water heater and am a bit confused.

First off, there are no directions on the outside of the water heater.
It is about 7 years old.

I did a search online and found many sites that explain now to do it,
but my question is some sites say to open the pressure relief valve, and
some sites say to leave it alone......Can someone give me any advice on
which method to follow.....Thanks!!- Hide quoted text -

You need to open something somewhere to let air in so the tank can
drain. That could be either the TPR valve or a hot water faucet.

The TPR thing is divided into 2 camps. One is to operate it at least
once a year to make sure it works freely and would open in an
emergency. The downside is that they can then fail to close
completely. The other camp says to leave it alone. If you do open
it and it drips, you can try to reseat it a couple times. If it
still leaks, it's easy to replace and only costs about $10.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_jo
rnal/how_to/4213452.html

Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meatplow said:

Leave it alone.

Never clean it out ever? But they suggest you should....I'm confused.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Oren wrote:

Mythbusters water heater...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoyuUJj2Q

Sweet!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you all for your responses! Maybe I'll just skip this whole idea
and mow the lawn instead! Ha!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Nov 16, 6:16 pm, (Pamela G.) wrote:
Thank you all for your responses! Maybe I'll just skip this whole idea
and mow the lawn instead! Ha!!

Leave the hot tap open doe's the same thing as opening the pressure
release Master Plumber 30 yrs