Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stud Questions

The house was built in the 50's. I am planning to add approximately sixteen or
more addition studs (beside the existing studs) in my unfinished garage. Can I
or should I use treated studs to eliminate termites instead of the normal studs?
After that I will cover it with dry wall and installed wall cabinets along the
reinforced walls in the garage.

Please give suggestions and comments, thanks everyone in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

John JJ wrote:
The house was built in the 50's. I am planning to add approximately sixteen or
more addition studs (beside the existing studs) in my unfinished garage. Can I
or should I use treated studs to eliminate termites instead of the normal studs?
After that I will cover it with dry wall and installed wall cabinets along the
reinforced walls in the garage.

Please give suggestions and comments, thanks everyone in advance.

Would seem unnecessary to begin with. What do you intend to store in
these cabinets that needs such extra support? If you simply want more
target area to hit to make hanging them more convenient, put solid 2x4
or 2x6 blocking between the existing studs at the proper height.

If the others aren't treated and haven't been attacked, why would expect
new in the same location be any different?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 12:50 pm, John JJ wrote:
The house was built in the 50's. I am planning to add approximately sixteen or
more addition studs (beside the existing studs) in my unfinished garage. Can I
or should I use treated studs to eliminate termites instead of the normal studs?
After that I will cover it with dry wall and installed wall cabinets along the
reinforced walls in the garage.

Please give suggestions and comments, thanks everyone in advance.

"should I use treated studs to eliminate termites"

I assume you mean to "discourage termites" as opposed to "eliminate
termites". If you already have termites, I doubt they'll go away if
you simply add a few treated studs.

My first question is: Why are you adding studs? Just curious...

My next question is...

If you are really concerned about termites, then are you planning to
add enough new studs to support the entire building? In other words,
if you do have (or get) termites, they might avoid the treated studs,
but they'll eat all the non-treated studs. This, in theory, will
leave your garage supported only by the treated studs, so there better
be enough to support the entire structure.

On the other hand, if you will be treating the existing wood for
termites anyway, use the cheaper studs and treat everything.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:
John JJ wrote:

or should I use treated studs to eliminate termites ...

If the others aren't treated and haven't been attacked, why would expect
new in the same location be any different?

And, of course, if there already is or has been infestation previously
which is the need for new, then that needs to be fixed independently.
Even in a garage, a treated sill plate is normally all one would expect
to have--and that owing to the concrete contact.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:50:50 -0800, John JJ
wrote:

The house was built in the 50's. I am planning to add approximately sixteen or
more addition studs (beside the existing studs) in my unfinished garage. Can I
or should I use treated studs to eliminate termites instead of the normal studs?
After that I will cover it with dry wall and installed wall cabinets along the
reinforced walls in the garage.

Please give suggestions and comments, thanks everyone in advance.

I'd ask your wife what kind of studs she prefers !!!!
Women are always experts at choosing studs.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:11:33 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I assume you mean to "discourage termites" as opposed to "eliminate
termites". If you already have termites, I doubt they'll go away if
you simply add a few treated studs.

I get it, and no harm using treated studs to "discourage" termites.

My first question is: Why are you adding studs? Just curious...

We moved into a small three BRs ranch house earlier this year with two cars
attached unfinished garage. Beside the woodworking machineries in the garage, I
will store as much stuffs as possible on the void ceiling when I finished
remodel the garage to reduce the clutter in the garage. I will also have top and
floor cabinets for hardware's and tools. I know the wall's cabinets must bear
considerable weight. Therefore, reinforced the studs make good sense.

snip for brevity

On the other hand, if you will be treating the existing wood for
termites anyway, use the cheaper studs and treat everything.

I will treat the whole house before I cover the garage with drywalls.

Thanks you.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

I assume you mean to "discourage termites" as opposed to "eliminate
termites". If you already have termites, I doubt they'll go away if
you simply add a few treated studs.

I get it, and no harm using treated studs to "discourage" termites.

My first question is: Why are you adding studs? Just curious...

We moved into a small three BRs ranch house earlier this year with two cars
attached unfinished garage. Beside the woodworking machineries in the garage, I
will store as much stuffs as possible on the void ceiling when I finished
remodel the garage to reduce the clutter in the garage. I will also have top and
floor cabinets for hardware's and tools. I know the wall's cabinets must bear
considerable weight. Therefore, reinforced the studs make good sense.

They're holding up the roof, aren't they?

In compression, a 2x4 is quite strong. The only concern at all I would
have is as stated above to have adequate mounting, not that the stud
itself would be inadequate to hold the load. If it were really to be
that heavily loaded, I'd do something like a lag-screwed French cleat as
a mounting or an actual ledger underneath, anyway.

If I understand what you're planning, the bigger problem would be in
reinforcing the ceiling rafters to support additional load -- they
normally are _not_ designed for anything more than the ceiling and the
tie function, not as a load-bearing floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:55:02 -0600, dpb wrote:

Would seem unnecessary to begin with. What do you intend to store in
these cabinets that needs such extra support? If you simply want more
target area to hit to make hanging them more convenient, put solid 2x4
or 2x6 blocking between the existing studs at the proper height.

When we bought the house, the unfinished garage is in poor shape. I have
upgrade the electrical supply from 40amps to 200amps and complete new door and
tracks. I also replaced a crack (repaired) longitude beam and reinforced four
other beams. I have too much tools and hardware for my woodworking hobby shop.
It make sense to reinforce the studs now, before I hang the walls cabinets.
Right?

If the others aren't treated and haven't been attacked, why would expect
new in the same location be any different?

The inspection report, say the house was previously infested with termites.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:35:36 -0600, dpb wrote:

They're holding up the roof, aren't they?

Yes, but one of the longitude beams was cracked and I replaced it. I also
reinforced other three of the beams which was bends and the roof did sag a bit
on the center.

In compression, a 2x4 is quite strong. The only concern at all I would
have is as stated above to have adequate mounting, not that the stud
itself would be inadequate to hold the load. If it were really to be
that heavily loaded, I'd do something like a lag-screwed French cleat as
a mounting or an actual ledger underneath, anyway.

If I understand what you're planning, the bigger problem would be in
reinforcing the ceiling rafters to support additional load -- they
normally are _not_ designed for anything more than the ceiling and the
tie function, not as a load-bearing floor.

Yes, I understand it. I inspect the foundation around the garage, it seem
to be pretty sound. It should be able to support the wall cabinets. With
additions studs and reinforced ceiling rafter (I call it longitude beams), I
hope to store boxes and some lumber in the void space in the garage ceiling.

..
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
John JJ wrote:

The house was built in the 50's. I am planning to add approximately sixteen
or
more addition studs (beside the existing studs) in my unfinished garage. Can
or should I use treated studs to eliminate termites instead of the normal
studs?
After that I will cover it with dry wall and installed wall cabinets along
the
reinforced walls in the garage.

Please give suggestions and comments, thanks everyone in advance.

I'm pretty sure that the 2007 NEC requires a prime number of new studs
to be added. So go for 17, or 19, or 23. If you leave a gap of 1/2"
between the bottom of the new studs and the sill plate, you will not
have termites, because they can only jump about 3/8", unless they've
been drinking heavily.

stud detectors [email protected] UK diy 11 February 25th 07 09:56 PM
DPC for stud wall [email protected] UK diy 6 October 1st 05 11:28 AM
Stud finder? Tim Lamb UK diy 4 May 15th 05 09:08 PM
Stud wall nthng2snet UK diy 4 February 27th 05 12:39 AM
Stud finders Daniel Prince Home Repair 17 December 23rd 04 03:38 PM