Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Woodstove Heat Circulation

2 story house. Stove is in livingroom. Planning of putting small vents
in the ceiling to vent warm air into 2nd story rooms. Should I
approach this as a warm air furnace circulation? Ie: circulation will
only occur when there is a return for cooler air upstairs (cold air
falls)? Plan is to put this vent in the hall ceiling outside the
livingroom. Would I need some small inline fans for either the ceiling
vents or the return? Currently I have a fan in the livingroom doorway
that does a poor job of blowing warm air out the door let alone
sending it up the stairwell to the second floor. Ceiling fans (3) on
second floor do not help either.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
2 story house. Stove is in livingroom. Planning of putting small vents
in the ceiling to vent warm air into 2nd story rooms. Should I
approach this as a warm air furnace circulation? Ie: circulation will
only occur when there is a return for cooler air upstairs (cold air
falls)? Plan is to put this vent in the hall ceiling outside the
livingroom. Would I need some small inline fans for either the ceiling
vents or the return? Currently I have a fan in the livingroom doorway
that does a poor job of blowing warm air out the door let alone
sending it up the stairwell to the second floor. Ceiling fans (3) on
second floor do not help either.

A vent above the stove would help considerably. It also may be against the
fire code too. It is where I live. Should there be a fire in or near the
stove, the last thing you want is a hole above it to help spread the flames.

If you are pumping air upstairs through a vent, the stairwell will probably
be sufficient for the return. Even though you are not getting the
distribution you want, you are getting some movement now. Take a candle to
the stairwell and move it from bottom to top and watch the flame.

Ceiling fans are useless, as you see. You may want some sort of fan in the
upstairs hall to push the air along.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
2 story house. Stove is in livingroom. Planning of putting small vents
in the ceiling to vent warm air into 2nd story rooms. Should I
approach this as a warm air furnace circulation? Ie: circulation will
only occur when there is a return for cooler air upstairs (cold air
falls)? Plan is to put this vent in the hall ceiling outside the
livingroom. Would I need some small inline fans for either the ceiling
vents or the return? Currently I have a fan in the livingroom doorway
that does a poor job of blowing warm air out the door let alone
sending it up the stairwell to the second floor. Ceiling fans (3) on
second floor do not help either.

Thanks

I remember when I was a boy that our 2 story house was heated only by a free
standing oil burner in the living room. Both upstairs bedrooms had good
sized registers in the floor open to the room below. I remember it always
being extremely cold upstairs in the winter. Used to heat pajamas on the
open heater door, put them on and run upstairs and jump completely under the
covers and shiver and shake until our body heat warmed up the sheets. If
you also have a central heating system, wouldn't it work better to run the
furnace on fan only to circulate the heat. To heat adjacent rooms in the
house, we used to mount a strange looking squirrel cage fan to the top of
the doorway. It had the intake and fan in a larger housing, then a thin
ductway that ran under the doorway, leaving the larger fan area on one side
of the opening, up and out of the way of your head. The previous tenant in
my house, used to heat the house with a woodburner in the living room (ss
chimney still here) and I know his kids (he was my cousin) always complained
about how cold the rest of the house always was. I'm quite comfortable
using gas but then I don't have the free source of wood that he had.

Tom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 2:59 pm, wrote:
2 story house. Stove is in livingroom. Planning of putting small vents
in the ceiling to vent warm air into 2nd story rooms. Should I
approach this as a warm air furnace circulation? Ie: circulation will
only occur when there is a return for cooler air upstairs (cold air
falls)? Plan is to put this vent in the hall ceiling outside the
livingroom. Would I need some small inline fans for either the ceiling
vents or the return? Currently I have a fan in the livingroom doorway
that does a poor job of blowing warm air out the door let alone
sending it up the stairwell to the second floor. Ceiling fans (3) on
second floor do not help either.

Thanks

I heat with wood. Only a single story. Getting the heat back to the
beadrooms was a problem. Solved by hanging 20" box fan from the
ceiling. Also run the ceiling fan to stir up the stagnant layer of
hot air up by the ceiling. Attractive? Not even close. Practical?
Very.

Yes, you will probably need one or more fans, natural convection won't
gt the job done without grossly overheating the room the stove is in.

I did not find running the furnace fan very effective as it is
basically blowing the coldest air around the house.

I use the same set-up in summer for the air conditioner but run the
furnace fan plus the ceiling fan.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
2 story house. Stove is in livingroom. Planning of putting small vents
in the ceiling to vent warm air into 2nd story rooms. Should I
approach this as a warm air furnace circulation? Ie: circulation will
only occur when there is a return for cooler air upstairs (cold air
falls)? Plan is to put this vent in the hall ceiling outside the
livingroom. Would I need some small inline fans for either the ceiling
vents or the return? Currently I have a fan in the livingroom doorway
that does a poor job of blowing warm air out the door let alone
sending it up the stairwell to the second floor. Ceiling fans (3) on
second floor do not help either.

If your furnace has a cold air return in the area heated by the stove, when
using the stove, close the furnace vents in the hotter area, and turn on the
furnace fan. It will intake the heated air and distribute it to the more distant
areas, and filter it in the process.

Bob

Replacing Woodstove with ... [email protected] Home Repair 6 June 29th 07 09:21 PM
radiant heat - low circulation problem elai Home Repair 5 December 8th 06 07:45 PM
Multi-Fuel, Gravity Circulation and Heat Bank [email protected] UK diy 0 February 26th 06 03:05 PM
woodstove hearths habbi Home Repair 6 January 21st 06 12:07 AM
Gravity circulation on a heat bank Davide UK diy 3 September 26th 05 12:09 AM