Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Large basement rec room, want warm tile. Danfoss LX cable?

The below grade basement on my 1970s rancher is a great recreation
room, and now we are planning to replace the indoor/outdoor carpet
over the concrete floor with something warmer. I'd really like to go
with radiant heating & tile instead of the electric baseboard heaters
we have now.

Does anyone have any experience with the Danfoss LX cable
installation? This stuff seems expensive for a 500 sq foot area, but I
really like the idea of one small cable lying in the thinset. I'm
thinking about converting the three 240V 15A baseboard heaters into
under tile heat. I'm comfortable laying the tile, and I would bring
in an electrician to hook up the system.

From what I can tell, this could cost quite a bit, but since I plan to
live here another 20+ years, I might just go for it. I thought about
hydronic, but the ceiling height is only 7' 5" and I want to avoid
loosing height.

Any advice?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 7:40?pm, wrote:
The below grade basement on my 1970s rancher is a great recreation
room, and now we are planning to replace the indoor/outdoor carpet
over the concrete floor with something warmer. I'd really like to go
with radiant heating & tile instead of the electric baseboard heaters
we have now.

Does anyone have any experience with the Danfoss LX cable
installation? This stuff seems expensive for a 500 sq foot area, but I
really like the idea of one small cable lying in the thinset. I'm
thinking about converting the three 240V 15A baseboard heaters into
under tile heat. I'm comfortable laying the tile, and I would bring
in an electrician to hook up the system.

From what I can tell, this could cost quite a bit, but since I plan to
live here another 20+ years, I might just go for it. I thought about
hydronic, but the ceiling height is only 7' 5" and I want to avoid
loosing height.

Any advice?

First add some windows, if you can, ingress egress allows your nice
rom to be caled a bedroom at home resale time.

If yiur willing to replace the floor lowering it enough to allow
radiant heat might be possible. Whats your primary heat source? gas,
oil? electric tends to be the most costly

hopefully you have a dry basement, thats the first thing to assure

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 06:08:05 -0800, "
wrote:

On Nov 10, 7:40?pm, wrote:
The below grade basement on my 1970s rancher is a great recreation
room, and now we are planning to replace the indoor/outdoor carpet
over the concrete floor with something warmer. I'd really like to go
with radiant heating & tile instead of the electric baseboard heaters
we have now.

Does anyone have any experience with the Danfoss LX cable
installation? This stuff seems expensive for a 500 sq foot area, but I
really like the idea of one small cable lying in the thinset. I'm
thinking about converting the three 240V 15A baseboard heaters into
under tile heat. I'm comfortable laying the tile, and I would bring
in an electrician to hook up the system.

From what I can tell, this could cost quite a bit, but since I plan to
live here another 20+ years, I might just go for it. I thought about
hydronic, but the ceiling height is only 7' 5" and I want to avoid
loosing height.

Any advice?

First add some windows, if you can, ingress egress allows your nice
rom to be caled a bedroom at home resale time.

If yiur willing to replace the floor lowering it enough to allow
radiant heat might be possible. Whats your primary heat source? gas,
oil? electric tends to be the most costly

hopefully you have a dry basement, thats the first thing to assure

gas heat, not many vents in the basement - I can fix that, but prefer
radiant. we have a stairwell exit to outside, and ill add the egress
over in the guest room sometime. basement is dry. french drain works
great - so far. sump pump is located in the basement laundry room, and
I don't plan any radiant in there.