Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing windows during the winter???

Hi all,

I need some advice. I should have done this sooner but just thought
about it.

I just signed a contract to have my windows replaced. I spent all
summer researching windows and also changing my mind a billion times
about what options I wanted. So, it's now mid-November and I finally
got it all figured out and signed a contract. I live in New Jersey.
The job will start within approximately 8 weeks. (It's a fairly big
job cuz it's an old house and there will be different windows/options,
even the front door). Anyway, 8 weeks would mean this will be done
sometime around early January - middle of winter. Now I think maybe
that's a stupid thing. I've never owned a house before so I don't know
what I'm doing. Is it stupid to have this done in the winter? I mean,
aside from the house getting cold and the inconvenience, is there
something else I should know? Like, might there be installation issues
or problems that only occur when installing in the winter that don't
occur in the warmer months? Anything I should be looking out for???

Thanks.

New-to-home-ownership.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Girlygirl wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Not a problem. I am in Calgary, Alberta(cold in winter). They do that
sort of thing in winter all the time. They know what they are doing.
Just make sure your contractor is experienced reputable one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Girlygirl writes:

Hi all,

I need some advice. I should have done this sooner but just thought
about it.

I just signed a contract to have my windows replaced. I spent all
summer researching windows and also changing my mind a billion times
about what options I wanted. So, it's now mid-November and I finally
got it all figured out and signed a contract. I live in New Jersey.
The job will start within approximately 8 weeks.

Do you want bugs or cold?

Seriously I'm in NJ and had a bunch of windows replaced in the winter.
Close the door to each room as they do it if it bothers you.
They only have the opening open for 5 or 10 minutes at a time.

You'll make up the heat you lose with the new windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 10:13 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Girlygirl wrote:
[...]

Hey, thanks for that. My contractor is experienced. I was nervous cuz
I notice most people get them done in the Spring and I thought that,
aside from the obvious, maybe there was some other reason I didn't
know about. I feel better now. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 10:20 pm, Dan Espen
wrote:
Girlygirl writes:
Hi all,

I need some advice. I should have done this sooner but just thought
about it.

I just signed a contract to have my windows replaced. I spent all
summer researching windows and also changing my mind a billion times
about what options I wanted. So, it's now mid-November and I finally
got it all figured out and signed a contract. I live in New Jersey.
The job will start within approximately 8 weeks.

Do you want bugs or cold?

Seriously I'm in NJ and had a bunch of windows replaced in the winter.
Close the door to each room as they do it if it bothers you.
They only have the opening open for 5 or 10 minutes at a time.

You'll make up the heat you lose with the new windows.

Thanks Jersey guy!! And, guess what!? I HATE BUGS!! But I looove
winter. So I guess I'm doing the right thing!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Girlygirl" wrote in message
So, it's now mid-November and I finally
got it all figured out and signed a contract. I live in New Jersey.
The job will start within approximately 8 weeks. (It's a fairly big
job cuz it's an old house and there will be different windows/options,
even the front door). Anyway, 8 weeks would mean this will be done
sometime around early January - middle of winter. Now I think maybe
that's a stupid thing. I've never owned a house before so I don't know
what I'm doing. Is it stupid to have this done in the winter?

Nope, just wear a sweater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The caulking could be a problem. The caulk should be allowed to dry
instead of freeze. It may not adhere as good as it would in the
summer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 12:35 am, wrote:
The caulking could be a problem. The caulk should be allowed to dry
instead of freeze. It may not adhere as good as it would in the
summer.

I am in the same boat. The caulk is a BIG issue. It stands between
you and leakage for 30 years; you do not want it compromised. I am
insisting that they only do the install when the air is 50 or
above.

Alternatively, ask to see the caulk tube and read the temperature
range in which it is to be installed.

DPA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"NeedleNose" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 10, 12:35 am, wrote:
The caulking could be a problem. The caulk should be allowed to dry
instead of freeze. It may not adhere as good as it would in the
summer.

I am in the same boat. The caulk is a BIG issue. It stands between
you and leakage for 30 years; you do not want it compromised. I am
insisting that they only do the install when the air is 50 or
above.

Alternatively, ask to see the caulk tube and read the temperature
range in which it is to be installed.

Any other materials that would work just as well and perform better in
freezing temperatures?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 12:35 am, wrote:
The caulking could be a problem. The caulk should be allowed to dry
instead of freeze. It may not adhere as good as it would in the
summer.

I am in the same boat. The caulk is a BIG issue. It stands between
you and leakage for 30 years; you do not want it compromised. I am
insisting that they only do the install when the air is 50 or
above.

Alternatively, ask to see the caulk tube and read the temperature
range in which it is to be installed.

Any other materials that would work just as well and perform better in
freezing temperatures?

Caulk is not a big issue. Most oil based caulks (one part urethane
and polyurethane) are oil based and can be applied in any weather.
Check out OSI quad for example. Says right on the installation
instructions "will not freeze". Latex caulks cannot be applied in
freezing weather, but they shouldn't be using latex caulks anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 7:42 am, marson wrote:
On Nov 10, 7:24 am, "Noozer" wrote:

"NeedleNose" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Nov 10, 12:35 am, wrote:
The caulking could be a problem. The caulk should be allowed to dry
instead of freeze. It may not adhere as good as it would in the
summer.

I am in the same boat. The caulk is a BIG issue. It stands between
you and leakage for 30 years; you do not want it compromised. I am
insisting that they only do the install when the air is 50 or
above.

Alternatively, ask to see the caulk tube and read the temperature
range in which it is to be installed.

Any other materials that would work just as well and perform better in
freezing temperatures?

Caulk is not a big issue. Most oil based caulks (one part urethane
and polyurethane) are oil based and can be applied in any weather.
Check out OSI quad for example. Says right on the installation
instructions "will not freeze". Latex caulks cannot be applied in
freezing weather, but they shouldn't be using latex caulks anyway.- Hide quoted text -

Be sure the installer is good and doesnt rush the job as to Plumb,
Level , and Square. Most companies have a 1/8" limit as to how far out
of of measurement this can be or all warranty is void. My instaler
screwed up and several had to be redone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 9:54 pm, Girlygirl wrote:
[...]

Ask yourself 2 questions:

1 - If you were doing it yourself, would you be more relaxed and
comfortable on a sunny 70 degree day or on a dreary 20 degree day?

2 - When are you apt to do a better job...on a warm, sunny day when
you're relaxed and comfortable or when you're hating life 'cuz your
fingers are stiff, a frigid wind is blowing in your face and you're
bundled up in a jacket and hat?

Attitude has as much to do with a good installation as does the
quality of the materials and the skill of the worker.

Why not see if you can reschedule for early spring when any cold
weather issues, perceived or actual, simply wouldn't exist?

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/10/2007 10:22 AM DerbyDad03 said the following:
[...]

She's not going to do it herself. The contractors are going to dress
warmly. I have done outside contracting work when it was snowing or
freezing rain was falling, or had fallen. I have had to broom the snow
off floor joists to be able to walk on them.
You're probably going to get a job done sooner when it is off season
work. In warm weather you'll probably get put on a list and have to wait.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 10:42 am, willshak wrote:
[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

She's not going to do it herself.

Never said she was, never implied she was. My post was about
attitude.

Anybody that's done a fair amount of construction/remodeling/repair
work has probably worked in less than favorable conditions. Did you
enjoy walking on snow covered floor joists or would you have rather it
been 70, sunny and dry? Do you think its possible that you might not
have noticed something or done something due to the distraction of the
snow and bad weather?

I just came in from raking the leaves on a damp and chilly November
afternoon. Had it been nicer, I would have stayed out longer and
probably done a better job. Due to the weather, I did a "good enough"
job. Do I want my windows installed "good enough" or do I want a
contractor that is in a good mood, enjoying life and more apt to
notice the little things like a piece of trim out of place or a
section of caulk that could be fixed, but doesn't really have to be?

She already has a contract, which should give her a little priority
with the contractor, so it can't hurt to make the phone call and ask
if she can be rescheduled. It's obvious from the OP's statements that
time is not of the essence. As I said before, if the job is done in
the spring, any cold weather issues, perceived or actual, simply
wouldn't exist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Sounds like in cold winter life has to come to grinding halt? Where I am
winter can be cold like -30F. There is a saying work done winter time is
better than done in humid hot summer. Building sun rooms, replacing
windows for the whole house, stuff like that goes year round. My
neighbor just havd all windows on his house replaced last week.
Why should she have to suffer cold draft and energy waste for another
winter? And there is warranty. Good windows these days come with at
least 10 year warranty against leak and/or defects.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/10/2007 11:52 AM DerbyDad03 said the following:
[...]

Sure, but the Winter money was just as good as in the Spring, Summer,
and Fall.

Do you think its possible that you might not
have noticed something or done something due to the distraction of the
snow and bad weather?

No. In warm weather, there are just as many distractions, maybe more. No
one is standing around doing nothing when it is cold.
I just came in from raking the leaves on a damp and chilly November
afternoon. Had it been nicer, I would have stayed out longer and
probably done a better job. Due to the weather, I did a "good enough"
job.

I do a lot of physical work when it is very cold out. I dress in layers,
including my legs, but after a while, I start sweating and the outer
clothing layers start coming off. Maybe it is because I was born in
December, and in the NE US, and have lived in the NE all of my 70 years.
I'd rather work when it is 40ºF out rather than 99ºF.

Do I want my windows installed "good enough" or do I want a
contractor that is in a good mood, enjoying life and more apt to
notice the little things like a piece of trim out of place or a
section of caulk that could be fixed, but doesn't really have to be?

Why do you assume that people who are working in inclement weather are
in a bad mood, or careless, or inattentive? Maybe they are in a better
mood because they are getting paid, rather than being laid off for the
winter.
Skiers, snow boarders, and snowmobile riders are certainly in a good
mood, and careful, and attentive.

She already has a contract, which should give her a little priority
with the contractor, so it can't hurt to make the phone call and ask
if she can be rescheduled. It's obvious from the OP's statements that
time is not of the essence. As I said before, if the job is done in
the spring, any cold weather issues, perceived or actual, simply
wouldn't exist.

Well, you're not going to do the job, and others may not have the same
aversions to working in the cold.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:54:20 -0000, Girlygirl
wrote:

[...]

I changed windows last January. I had windows 2000 and changed to
windows XP. My house never got cold from doing it, and there were no
other problems except that I could not get on the internet for a
couple hours. The only installation issues I had was that it said I
should have more memory. I already know that, because I am always
forgetting where I leave my keys and wallet.

Norman T.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Better be XP Pro, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , willshak says...

[...]

I got my siding installed in the winter. I had hired a contractor I use all the
time and has always done good work for that and other work. I was flexible; I
would have happily waited until spring, but he and his crew wanted to get the
job done.

Amazed me - but they dressed warm; I did some snow shovelling around the house
but they kept it clear too, and it got done.

Windows would present a problem of cold air coming in in the process of
installation; but that can be held to a minimum unless problems are discovered.
I don't see an issue. Not with the job; not with worker attitude.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 11:54 am, Banty wrote:
In article , willshak says...

[...]

I work as a contractor in the upper midwest. We always fight a
perception that work can't be done outside in the winter. This is
just not true. I have framed houses, changed windows, built decks,
etc in all months of the year, and scoff at the notion that quality
suffers. Frankly, I would take a 10 degree day over a 90 degree humid
day hands down. I am not exaggerating. People just don't realize
that you can dress for cold and your body acclimates. If you feel
cold, hypothermic, hands numb, etc. then you are not dressed right.
If your contractor says he can change windows in the winter, then
trust that he knows what he is doing and go for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 1:48 pm, marson wrote:
On Nov 10, 11:54 am, Banty wrote:

In article , willshak says...

[...]

trust that he knows what he is doing and go for it.- Hide quoted text -

What I find interesting is that I said "ask for early spring" and a
number of you have come back saying you'd rather work in the cold than
in humid, 90 degree weather. You'd get no argument out of me on that
one! :-)

However, if I understand the OP's post correctly, she's has some
questions (concerns?) about her choice of a mid-winter installation,
and has already taken a considerable amount of time scheduling the
job, so I still see no reason not to ask for a delay until spring if
it will eliminate her concerns.

I mean no disrepect to any one who works outside in the winter. Heck,
I spent a year in AK and replaced many a runway light and repaired
cables cut by the snowplows during the dead of winter. That said,
given the choice, I would have rather done the work in April instead
of February.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, DerbyDad03
says...

On Nov 10, 1:48 pm, marson wrote:
On Nov 10, 11:54 am, Banty wrote:

In article , willshak says...

on 11/10/2007 11:52 AM DerbyDad03 said the following:
On Nov 10, 10:42 am, willshak wrote:

on 11/10/2007 10:22 AM DerbyDad03 said the following:

On Nov 9, 9:54 pm, Girlygirl wrote:

Hi all,

I need some advice. I should have done this sooner but just thoug=

ht
about it.

I just signed a contract to have my windows replaced. I spent all
summer researching windows and also changing my mind a billion ti=

mes
about what options I wanted. So, it's now mid-November and I fina=

lly
got it all figured out and signed a contract. I live in New Jerse=

y=2E
[...]

??

[...]

s=2E
I'd rather work when it is 40=BAF out rather than 99=BAF.

[...]

I just re-read the original post, and all she wants to know is if replacing
windows in the wintertime is a reasonable thing - if there are any special
concerns.

I think the answer is - no.

I asked if the siding job would be delayed until the spring, but that was based
on the kind of attitude marson was talking about. I just didnt' know it was no
big deal to do this in the winter weather (I'm in upstate New York, by the way).

My contractor said it was no big deal; after some years and quite a few jobs I
trust him; the siding job got done.

I mean no disrepect to any one who works outside in the winter. Heck,
I spent a year in AK and replaced many a runway light and repaired
cables cut by the snowplows during the dead of winter. That said,
given the choice, I would have rather done the work in April instead
of February.

Sure. But no reason for her to wait. If *she* had a reason to wait, it would
be different. But it's not that - she just wants to know if the job can really
be done well in the wintertime.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On 10 Nov 2007 14:10:53 -0800, Banty wrote:

In article . com, DerbyDad03
says...
I mean no disrepect to any one who works outside in the winter. Heck,
I spent a year in AK and replaced many a runway light and repaired
cables cut by the snowplows during the dead of winter. That said,
given the choice, I would have rather done the work in April instead
of February.

Sure. But no reason for her to wait. If *she* had a reason to wait, it would
be different. But it's not that - she just wants to know if the job can really
be done well in the wintertime.

We have roofs (rooves?) done in western New York through December
routinely, but I do agree with DerbyDad that for a job like that,
warmer weather is preferable for reasons of product performance. I
can't think of any other jobs besides painting that can't be done in
winter, worker comfort notwithstanding. We had our back porch closed
in during March, when the temps were pretty cold and snow was coming
down, and it has worked out well, including the four windows that were
installed. The contractor was suppose to do it in December, but got
delayed. Now I just gotta get my gutter shields (box rescued from the
neighbor's trash!) installed in the next couple of weeks, before the
weather really turns bitter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I just came in from raking the leaves on a damp and chilly November
afternoon. Had it been nicer, I would have stayed out longer and
probably done a better job. Due to the weather, I did a "good enough"
job. Do I want my windows installed "good enough" or do I want a
contractor that is in a good mood, enjoying life and more apt to
notice the little things like a piece of trim out of place or a
section of caulk that could be fixed, but doesn't really have to be?

If you get a contractor that will hack the job in the winter, there's
absolutely no guarantee, they will not hack it on more pleasant days. A
good installer will be a good installer, no matter the weather. Your
assumption that everyone does things like you do, is way off base.

She already has a contract, which should give her a little priority
with the contractor, so it can't hurt to make the phone call and ask
if she can be rescheduled. It's obvious from the OP's statements that
time is not of the essence. As I said before, if the job is done in
the spring, any cold weather issues, perceived or actual, simply
wouldn't exist.

That would be absurd, considering she could start saving energy and money
this winter.

No offense, but you have some crazy ideas running around in your head.

Posted to alt.home.repair

-
If you get a contractor that will hack the job in the winter, there's
absolutely no guarantee, they will not hack it on more pleasant days. A
good installer will be a good installer, no matter the weather. Your
assumption that everyone does things like you do, is way off base.

Why is everyone going to extremes with their responses?

I say a spring day, it turns into 90 degrees. I mention letting little
things go because it's cold, you turn it into a hack job.

There's a big difference between doing a "good enough" job and taking
it to the next level. I'm sure you will agree that there are
contractors out there that will do a "good enough" job in the best of
weather and those that will go above and beyond. Neither of them is a
hack. All I'm saying is that in inclement weather, a worker may decide
to let some little things go that he might not otherwise. For example,
they might decide not to reposition that piece of trim that's covered
with ice when they just might have done it on a sunny day. That
certainly wouldn't be a hack job, merely "good enough".

As far as "doing things the way I do", you are right, most people
don't. When I told the guy that I bought my windows from (a
contractors supply house) what I did with the external trim after I
removed the storms, he told me that if I had hired the job out, few,
if any, contractors would have taken the time to do what I did. What
they would have done instead would have been "good enough" (i.e.
perfectly acceptable) but I took it to the next level. If I was doing
my windows in January, I too might have stopped at "good enough",
because there would have been nothing wrong with that method. There
was, however, a *better* way which I was willing to spend the time, in
nice weather, doing. That's all I'm saying. I'm not calling anybody a
hack, I'm simply saying that they just might want to get each window
closed up a little sooner in January than in April.

-
She already has a contract, which should give her a little priority
with the contractor, so it can't hurt to make the phone call and ask
if she can be rescheduled. It's obvious from the OP's statements that
time is not of the essence. As I said before, if the job is done in
the spring, any cold weather issues, perceived or actual, simply
wouldn't exist.

That would be absurd, considering she could start saving energy and money
this winter.

-
True...and it's up to the OP to decide if the savings is worth the
worry, whether that worry is justified or not. That's a point I've
been trying to make all along: If the OP is at all worried about
whether the job should be done in the winter, then the money spent on
heating the house for a few extra months might be a price she's
willing to pay for piece of mind.

-- No offense, but you have some crazy ideas running around in your
head.

No offense taken...unless, of course, you meant to offend.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Quad caulking that will most likely be used can be used down to 20
degrees Fahrenheit. It will take 7 or more days to cure depending on
weather conditions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 9:07 pm, wrote:
The Quad caulking that will most likely be used can be used down to 20
degrees Fahrenheit. It will take 7 or more days to cure depending on
weather conditions.

My experience from being around contractors is the winter is the slow
season and they do a better job because they appreciate all work they
get. Plus they take there time because that may be the only day they
work in a week or two. Once the weather get back to the 40's and 50's
contractors get busy and they are more like to rush if they have
another contract to get too.