Posted to alt.home.repair

Default source for water heater anodes?

Anyone know a place (or better yet, a hardware store chain) that carries
magnesium water heater anodes? Only places I've found them were online
from Rheem/Ruud (almost $100 each!) and waterheaterrescue.com. Only
other ones I've found have been aluminum (which I understand does not
protect the tank as well as magnesium) and/or very short, intended for
RV water heaters. Oddly, there's plenty of the latter available.

I already placed an order with waterheaterrescue.com for two, but still
the bill was about $130. It's almost not worth keeping an old water
heater going at that price; one part fails in the next 6-7 years and
I'll be kicking myself for not just buying a new heater, even though the
old one is kicking out plenty of BTUs. I can get a GE 40 gal. gas
heater from Home Despot for under $400; I'm sure there are better deals
out there from better stores.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Anyone know a place (or better yet, a hardware store chain) that carries
magnesium water heater anodes? Only places I've found them were online from
Rheem/Ruud (almost $100 each!) and waterheaterrescue.com. Only other ones
I've found have been aluminum (which I understand does not protect the tank as
well as magnesium) and/or very short, intended for RV water heaters. Oddly,
there's plenty of the latter available.

I already placed an order with waterheaterrescue.com for two, but still the
bill was about $130. It's almost not worth keeping an old water heater going
at that price; one part fails in the next 6-7 years and I'll be kicking myself
for not just buying a new heater, even though the old one is kicking out
plenty of BTUs. I can get a GE 40 gal. gas heater from Home Despot for under
$400; I'm sure there are better deals out there from better stores.

I saw them at Lowe's about a year ago.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

Figures. Nearest Lowe's is about 20 miles away, unless I want to drive
into Alexandria

I never could figure out why Lowe's doesn't open a store closer to me; I
live in a densely populated area served - poorly - by two Home Depots.
I'd be glad to have the opportunity to switch as Lowe's has by far a
better chance of carrying what I'm looking for, in my experience.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 18:25:31 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:

Anyone know a place (or better yet, a hardware store chain) that carries
magnesium water heater anodes? Only places I've found them were online
from Rheem/Ruud (almost $100 each!) and waterheaterrescue.com. Only
other ones I've found have been aluminum (which I understand does not
protect the tank as well as magnesium) and/or very short, intended for
RV water heaters. Oddly, there's plenty of the latter available.

I already placed an order with waterheaterrescue.com for two, but still
the bill was about $130. It's almost not worth keeping an old water
heater going at that price; one part fails in the next 6-7 years and
I'll be kicking myself for not just buying a new heater, even though the
old one is kicking out plenty of BTUs. I can get a GE 40 gal. gas
heater from Home Despot for under $400; I'm sure there are better deals
out there from better stores.

Tough decision. $65. or $400. That $400 bill sounds wonderful; better
buy two for $800!

Did a quick search via google. Rods sell for $170 to $400. For ten.
Unit price is $20-40.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 7:07?pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

I look at it differently. 400 bucks divided by 10 years is 40 bucks a
year. Thats less than a cheap candy bar a week.

I replace the heater every 8 years or so at the time of my choice.

that after a bad experience with a leaky heater on christmas eve in a
snowstorm with house guests coming.......

miserable......

this is called preventive maintence.

how many wait till their bad roof shingles cause a major leak? I think
its better to care for stuff as you go along.

The hassle of removing a anode and likely causing a leak just isnt
worth it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

Just curious, where are you finding these? My google-fu must be weak, I
can't find squat.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Our local real supply house has them. I think they are in the $25 range.
Posted to alt.home.repair

how old is the existing heater?

Nate Nagel wrote:
Anyone know a place (or better yet, a hardware store chain) that carries

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 7:54 pm, " wrote:
On Nov 9, 7:07?pm, AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

worth it!- Hide quoted text -

It's not much hassle really to check an anode.. All it takes is a 1
1/8" socket with a good bar on it and can be done start to finish in 5
mins. I've been checking mine every couple years and have never had
a leaking problem.. In my experience, leaks are not a problem from a
plug type widget like this that gets opened every couple years. The
problem comes from things that are not opened on a regular basis and
then opened 10 years later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 8:14 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

I'm curious too. I searched online a few years ago too and only
place I found was the waterheaterrescue place too. I would check the
local plumbing supply house. The Lowes suggestion is interesting.
I know I looked at both HD and Lowes here in NJ and they didn't have
them. Employees didn't even know what I was talking about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 12:23?pm, Abe wrote:
[...]

Aluminum onlyhttp://www.waterheaterparts.net/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?keywords=anode&se...

They sell a combo rod, but not magnesiumhttp://www.plumbingsupply.com/ho****er.html#anoderods- Hide quoted text -

remember solid rods that arent flexible need the cieling space for
replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Nov 10, 7:46 am, wrote:

I'm curious too. I searched online a few years ago too and only
place I found was the waterheaterrescue place too. I would check the
local plumbing supply house. The Lowes suggestion is interesting.
I know I looked at both HD and Lowes here in NJ and they didn't have
them. Employees didn't even know what I was talking about.

Must be regional. I've looked in 3 Lowes and 2 HD's in my area and
none of them carry replacement anodes.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb Stein" wrote in message

I have no room to get a "good bar" in there and have been trying to remove
the anode on mine for a month now. It feels like I need someone to hold
the tank while I turn, so the tank doesn't twist and rip loose from the
gas piping.

My water heater is firmly held to the wall with the required earthquake
strap.

Bob

We can assume you are from Kalifornia. Most other states don't have a
"requirement" for an "earthquake strap."

Nope. Seattle.

Bob

tankless water heater vs. small water heater. Spider Home Repair 7 October 14th 14 12:03 AM
Water cylinder anodes Mark UK diy 3 November 29th 06 10:28 AM
Replacing water heater anodes C & E Home Repair 17 November 17th 06 11:29 PM
hot water heater leak and tankless water heater? Bob F Home Repair 13 November 1st 06 03:44 AM
hot water heater leak and tankless water heater? Bob F Home Ownership 11 November 1st 06 03:44 AM