Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default source for water heater anodes?

Bob F wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Anyone know a place (or better yet, a hardware store chain) that carries
magnesium water heater anodes? Only places I've found them were online from
Rheem/Ruud (almost $100 each!) and waterheaterrescue.com. Only other ones
I've found have been aluminum (which I understand does not protect the tank as
well as magnesium) and/or very short, intended for RV water heaters. Oddly,
there's plenty of the latter available.

I already placed an order with waterheaterrescue.com for two, but still the
bill was about $130. It's almost not worth keeping an old water heater going
at that price; one part fails in the next 6-7 years and I'll be kicking myself
for not just buying a new heater, even though the old one is kicking out
plenty of BTUs. I can get a GE 40 gal. gas heater from Home Despot for under
$400; I'm sure there are better deals out there from better stores.

I saw them at Lowe's about a year ago.

Bob

Figures. Nearest Lowe's is about 20 miles away, unless I want to drive
into Alexandria

I never could figure out why Lowe's doesn't open a store closer to me; I
live in a densely populated area served - poorly - by two Home Depots.
I'd be glad to have the opportunity to switch as Lowe's has by far a
better chance of carrying what I'm looking for, in my experience.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel