Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two grout questions

1) I regrouted a section in my bathroom with sanded grout, since the
gaps are about 1/4 to 3/8 inch with 12 inch tiles. I waited the full
2 weeks for grout curing, and then sealed with silicone based sealant
recommended for use on glazed tile (which this is). However the grout
still changes color when it gets wet, which none of the other grout
does. I thought the sealant would protect against this. Am I wrong
or do I need another kind of sealant, or just more applications of the
same?

2) The corner grout where the bath tile (4" tiles) meets the floor
tile (12" tiles) is cracking. Can I tear this up and caulk this
corner joint instead, or if I need to regrout do I use sanded or
unsanded?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am re-building my bath and have got all questions answered at
johnbridge.com..............give it a try costs nothing
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 2:38 pm, Norminn wrote:
wrote:
1) I regrouted a section in my bathroom with sanded grout, since the
gaps are about 1/4 to 3/8 inch with 12 inch tiles. I waited the full
2 weeks for grout curing, and then sealed with silicone based sealant
recommended for use on glazed tile (which this is). However the grout
still changes color when it gets wet, which none of the other grout
does. I thought the sealant would protect against this. Am I wrong
or do I need another kind of sealant, or just more applications of the
same?

2) The corner grout where the bath tile (4" tiles) meets the floor
tile (12" tiles) is cracking. Can I tear this up and caulk this
corner joint instead, or if I need to regrout do I use sanded or
unsanded?

Thanks,

The sealer I used on our tile installation in '01 recommended two coats,
which I applied. The second sunk in only sporadically, which the label
had advised because most of the grout was already sealed by the first
application. What does your label say? Did you do two appl.?

As for corners, I understand that caulk is used in corners due to the
same problem you have - corners flex and crack grout, so flexible caulk
is needed. Dremel has a handy accessory for grinding out grout.- Hide quoted text -

I tried sealing several times - 4 at this point, and the grout still
changes colors when it gets wet. I don't get it, perhaps the silicone
based sealant isn't that good for sanded grout. I'm going to try an
epoxy based sealer next. stay tuned.