Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for a door

I need to replace a steel door on my condo unit; I want a standard
looking steel door (4 "panels" with a fanlight at the top). HomeDepot
and Lowe's carry JeldWen - it's OK, but not what I want. Before they
went out of business, Chase-Pitkin (a regional hardware store here in
upstate NY) had a beautiful door that I'm really looking for now. It
was more expensive, but it had a decorative window for the fanlight,
and, while the window had mullions (muntins?), the fanlight was
encased by a solid, clear material (lucite? lexan?) that was flush
with the door panel (at least on the interior side) - this would make
cleaning a snap. Does anyone know who manufactures a door like this?
Thanks,
Michael

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Oct, 11:37, "
wrote:
I need to replace a steel door on my condo unit; I want a standard
looking steel door (4 "panels" with a fanlight at the top). HomeDepot
and Lowe's carry JeldWen - it's OK, but not what I want. Before they
went out of business, Chase-Pitkin (a regional hardware store here in
upstate NY) had a beautiful door that I'm really looking for now. It
was more expensive, but it had a decorative window for the fanlight,
and, while the window had mullions (muntins?), the fanlight was
encased by a solid, clear material (lucite? lexan?) that was flush
with the door panel (at least on the interior side) - this would make
cleaning a snap. Does anyone know who manufactures a door like this?
Thanks,
Michael

Have you contacted any door/window stores in your area?

Most decent lumber yards also carry/can get doors.

Most contractor supply houses will deal with the general public as
walk-ins.

Other than a specific line that a given manufacturer might make for a
given big box store, just about every door available from a big box is
available from other sources.

Home-owners oft times limit their searches to the big boxes when there
are so many other great sources for everything from home repair items
to computers to food. Not only will you find more choices and usually
get better advice, it's also a lot more fun. Warranty issues are
handled by a real person with some stake in the issue, not a CSR who
fills out a form and sends it into the void.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.cnd-industry.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks - I looked about a bit and found something similar to what I
wanted, without having to go to a custom door manufacturer (nice
stuff, but you pay for it!). You're right, there's a lot out there
beyond what the bix box stores offer!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 5:36 pm, "
wrote:
Thanks - I looked about a bit and found something similar to what I
wanted, without having to go to a custom door manufacturer (nice
stuff, but you pay for it!). You're right, there's a lot out there
beyond what the bix box stores offer!

Where did you go...just curous. I'm in upstate NY and looking for a
door also.