Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint ? Latex walls and oil on woodwork?

I have having the interior of my home painted.

Some of the quotes, actually the higher quotes, listed an option for the
doors trim and woodwork to be done in oil based paint. The cost is the same.

The ceilings and walls will be done in latex.

Wanted to know what the pros and cons were going with oil?

Would it make sense to have the kitchen and bathroom walls oil too?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tube Audio wrote:
I have having the interior of my home painted.

Some of the quotes, actually the higher quotes, listed an option
for the doors trim and woodwork to be done in oil based paint. The
cost is the same.

The ceilings and walls will be done in latex.

Wanted to know what the pros and cons were going with oil?

Grab the option...you will have a finish that is smoother, no/fewer
brush marks, harder, more scrubbable, easy to sand to prep to repaint.

IMO, no wood should ever have latex/acrylic on it.
_____________

Would it make sense to have the kitchen and bathroom walls oil too?

Depends if you want the above. If not, use semi-glossy acrylic. Or -
if you like shine - glossy.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
I use oil for:
+ Ceilings where the popcorn is falling off, but the client doesn't
want to remove it. They wind up with shiny ceilings, because
oil-based paint only comes in gloss and semi-gloss.

And satin/eggshell, matte and flat. Maybe some other sheens too
depending on who makes it. You can always use flatting powder to get
any sheen you want out of glossy/semi-glossy.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tube Audio wrote:

I have having the interior of my home painted.

Some of the quotes, actually the higher quotes, listed an option for the
doors trim and woodwork to be done in oil based paint. The cost is the same.

The only way to go, IMO.

The ceilings and walls will be done in latex.

Yes.

Wanted to know what the pros and cons were going with oil?

Harder, tougher finish. Easier to clean. Less apt to stain. Latex on
doors, trim and woodwork is horrible to repaint - can't sand out little
dings because the latex rolls up like rubber (although it isn't actually
latex )

Would it make sense to have the kitchen and bathroom walls oil too?

I always do, have never regretted doing so. Kitchen, especially,
requires more cleaning and sometimes tougher solutions. I've seen
special "bathroom" paint, and I don't know what is special about it.
Alkyd is more impervious to moisture. Easier to clean.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote on 22 Oct 2007 in group
alt.home.repair:

Steve wrote:
I use oil for:
+ Ceilings where the popcorn is falling off, but the client
doesn't want to remove it. They wind up with shiny ceilings,
because oil-based paint only comes in gloss and semi-gloss.

And satin/eggshell, matte and flat. Maybe some other sheens too
depending on who makes it. You can always use flatting powder to
get any sheen you want out of glossy/semi-glossy.

Interesting. I've asked at several paint suppliers, and they've
always told me that oil paint only comes in gloss and semi-gloss.
The latest was Sherwin-Williams. Maybe the clerk needs training.

I'll have to check out flattening powder.

Powdered talc works OK, used to be used by paint stores. Check epoxy
supply places to find it.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...