Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running heating oil lines

My oil-burning furnace is in the basement. I'm putting in a new tank,
in a new location, to replace an older one which is being removed, so
I need to run some new lines. Couple of questions:

1) The furnace has two copper lines running to it, so I assume this is
a 2-line system. How do I pipe the second (return) line? Does this
just go into the top of the tank?

2) In the new location, the most direct route for the line would be to
run along the exterior foundation for a ways, cross about 6 feet of
concrete walk/patio adjacent to the house (crossing a doorway), enter
the crawlspace through a vent, and over to the furnace. Any
suggestions for crossing the doorway? I know best would be best to
tunnel under the concrete walk/patio, but I only have access from one
side (the line would need to come straight up out of the concrete
before going into the crawlspace), so this seems difficult. I suppose
I could break up part of the walk, lay the line, and repour the
concrete, but it will be tough to make this look good. Another option
would be to run the line up and over the doorframe - again not the
best looking approach, but certainly simple. Is there any problem
associated with running the line up (above the level of the tank) and
back down? Will the pump be able to prime?

Thanks for any input,

KJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I can tell you about my new install, the line goes from the tank up the wall
across the ceiling down the wall to the boiler (about 8' up 12' across 8'
down)
I have never had to prime it yet so I am not sure how they did it.
and mine is a one line system not two.

Clark...
--
Don't you have Google in your part of the world?