Posted to alt.home.repair

Default High Tech Wiring / Security contractors - Puget Sound area

I'm not sure if this is on topic for the group, but I'm having trouble
finding recommendations from other sources.

I'm looking for a company who can advise and probably implement part
or all of some high-tech wiring improvements to the house I just moved
in to. Preferably in the Bellevue/Kirkland area, but anywhere around
Puget Sound might be OK.

I don't need a total solution for all rooms if it is too hard, but I
want to add the following:
* Speaker wires beyond the couple there currently. (It would be
helpful to trace the additional speaker wires that don't seem to go
anywhere else). Ideally, local control in the two or three rooms with
speakers.
* Home run phone wires.
* Home run Ethernet wires. I can live with some wireless, but I want
some hardwiring to critical areas.
* Wiring for security system. I want to find an installer who will
sell me the system (or preferably allow me to use my own that
integrates home automation) rather than rent, and allow me to choose
their central monitoring or an independent service. I'm anticipating
some wireless coverage, but would like as many points as possible hard
wired.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

For the home entertainment, might try video in the yellow pages.

Electricians may be able to advise you on who can do the wiring. Also
electricians are experts at running wires in existing construction.

One of the two above might be able to do everything including phone, but
probably not the security wiring.

For the security system, forget about most local security companies. Most of
them want to lock you into a monitoring contract and are bigger thieves than
the thieves they are supposedly protecting you from. (Read EVERY word in any
contract you sign!). You can get good security advice at
alt.security.alarms.
Monitoring at...
http://www.alarmrelay.com

"5Circles" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"5Circles" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Do some Internet research on structured media. You will find lots of
resources and folks selling the products you need to get it done. You
already know what you want, so I'd recommend you buy the stuff and just
install it yourself. I put a system and structured media enclosure in my
house not too long ago, and it was not too hard. I have home-runs of phone,
Ethernet and satellite TV going to my structured media panel. Sometime in
the future, I want to add whole-house audio.

You will find that you can save a bundle doing it yourself. The
techno-nerds charge big bucks to install this stuff.

Good Luck!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 19:24:43 -0500, "J.A. Michel"
wrote:

"5Circles" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

For networking/security, consider Power over Ethernet(PoE) appliances,
like cameras that can be monitored and powered with one cable. You
will need a special router, PoE capable.

You'd have mostly CAT6 wiring everywhere, to take advantage of 1gig
ethernet also, which would be advantageous for HD media streaming
everywhere.

samurai.