Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finding where the electrical line is broken

Hi guys!

About two years ago, we finished (to be precise, we hired a contractor to
finish) our breezeway, turning it into a room. After the renovation was
complete, we discovered that the outlet on the interior wall, and it's
matching outlet on the garage wall, and our porch light post, are now dead.

It's been two years, obviously this isn't a pressing problem, but geez, I'd
love to have that porch light back. Any suggestions as to how to figure
this out? The renovation consisted of wallboarding over the exterior walls
of the breezeway (e,g, we didn't open up the wall where the fault must lie -
between the interior and the first exterior (garage) plug. We did take the
ceiling down to the studs, but iirc, there was no wiring there.

Can I safely assume that the fault lies in the wall between the
breezeway-cum-office, and the garage, rather than anywhere in the wire
between the breezeway/office and the front porch?

How do I tackle this?

And, erm... considering it's two years after the fact, and realizing this is
a bit late to be asking... is there any risk of fire with the dead wiring in
the walls?

As always, thanks for your kind assistance. Help me Obi-Wan! You're my
only hope! (Well, my only hope other than calling an electrician and
opening up the finished walls. Eek.)

Thanks!

Donna