Posted to alt.home.repair
Donna Donna is offline

Default Finding where the electrical line is broken

"G Wood" wrote in message
"Donna" wrote in message

Thanks, guys.

Romex is very tough stuff, so unless there was work done with a saws-all
or
such after the finishing work, it will be a connection issue. First step
would be to check the outlets that have failed. If you know the most
upstream (first on the circuit from breaker box), check to ensure it isn't
bad outlet.

There are three outlets (counting the porch light as an "outlet" for the
purposes of this post) that have failed. No other outlets in the house are
dead (and yes, to the gentleman who asked, they did work, directly before
the renovation).

From your (your plural that is.) kind responses, it seems that the three
dead outlets are at the end of a circuit, since everything else works. The
interruption must begin at the first dead plug (which is in the office). I
have, actually, pulled the wiring out and looked at it. Everything that I
saw looks to be correctly connected. But as you all have cleverly
ascertained, I'm not an electrician.

Get a circuit tester and see if the hot wire has juice. If so,
then the outlet could be faulty and not only is it non-functional, it is
blocking current from travelling to the next outlet on the circuit. If
not,
then you need to work upstream from there. One of the junction boxes will
have a bad connection, you just need to pray it's accessible.

I'll get a circuit tester. The plug next up the line is also in the
office, and works fine, so I suspect you've figured out the problem.
Something seems to be wrong with the first dead plug, and either there is a
loose connection, or there is an interruption of some kind, and either way,
it's a pretty simple thing for an electrician to fix. Is that correct?

This assumes there are other plugs/lights on the circuit that DO work, and
that it isn't a bad circuit breaker in the box.

That is a correct assumption. The circuit breaker is fine, and every other
plug in the house works, including the one that connects to the first dead
plug box.

I just figured you checked
for that already.

Never assume. But yes, I did check that. Beyond that point, though,
I needed some guidance. Thanks.

Donna