Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Broken Kitchen Drain Line

I'd like to know if these prices are within reason. We live in Orange
County, CA.

We thought we had a normal backup so we called a plumbing company to
snake the line - $125 later we found out there was a busted line. No
refund for their 10 minutes of work.

We got another plumbing company to come out to camera the line ($250
to go the final repair) and give us an estimate. They confirmed the
busted kitchen drain line, and gave an estimate of $2500 - $3000.
Estimate includes digging through about 10' of concrete and re-routing
a new line from the kitchen and laundry (in the garage) to the main
sewer line. Estimate does not include re-pouring of concrete or
repair to the stucco outside the kitchen wall. Is this within reason?

Also, after talking to my State Farm insurance rep they say normal
maintenance and wear and tear is not covered, but a claims expert will
call me back. Is this normal?

House was built in 1952. What could cause these pipes to break? I
know the city had been doing some sewer work in the area -- could that
be a cause?

Anyway, thanks for the help. The huge expense is still shocking, and
the fact that insurance doesn't cover it is also shocking. Makes you
wonder why insurance is needed anyway, when most of us will never file
a claim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 5:08 pm, wrote:
[...]

I had a pipe burst due to freezing. State Farm paid for the water
damage to drywall and painting but I had to pay for the repair of the
pipe.
If you have water damage, they should pay for it. Plumbers around
here charge ~$100/hour which includes travel time.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'd like to know if these prices are within reason. We live in Orange
County, CA.

We thought we had a normal backup so we called a plumbing company to
snake the line - $125 later we found out there was a busted line. No
refund for their 10 minutes of work.

We got another plumbing company to come out to camera the line ($250
to go the final repair) and give us an estimate. They confirmed the
busted kitchen drain line, and gave an estimate of $2500 - $3000.
Estimate includes digging through about 10' of concrete and re-routing
a new line from the kitchen and laundry (in the garage) to the main
sewer line. Estimate does not include re-pouring of concrete or
repair to the stucco outside the kitchen wall. Is this within reason?

Another good reason to route the drain lines sensibly when building the
place.

Also, after talking to my State Farm insurance rep they say normal
maintenance and wear and tear is not covered, but a claims expert will
call me back. Is this normal?

House was built in 1952. What could cause these pipes to break? I
know the city had been doing some sewer work in the area -- could that
be a cause?

Had many earthquakes there lately?

Anyway, thanks for the help. The huge expense is still shocking, and
the fact that insurance doesn't cover it is also shocking. Makes you
wonder why insurance is needed anyway, when most of us will never file
a claim.

Having to spend $3,000 after 55 years of service is less than $55 a year.

Quit yer bitching, nothing lasts forever. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:08:35 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Insurance should cover that, but with new clauses added all the time
to protect the insurance company, who knows.

I had the exact same problem and rented an electric jack hammer and
fixed the problem myself. I suggest you do the same.

..

Posted to alt.home.repair

People just dont realize that galvanized pipes from yesteryear have a
limited lifespan. The last around 50 or so years. After that good
luck.

If you dont like the price, get someone else over to give you
estimates.
Still dont like the price? Do it yourself if you have the time.

On Jul 9, 5:08 pm, wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all that had something constructive to say.

As for "Jeff Wisnia" and "monitor..." -- F_ck Y_u. Get a life. I
was asking for help and advice. I'm not an expert at every single
thing in the world. And if you have a problem with that and live in
Orange County, let me know. Tough guys all over the Internet.

To everyone else, I went ahead and got the work done. Not much choice
really. Thanks again.