Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice needed: hooking up sprinkler system to water service line.

I am planning to do it myself.

My local code calls for double check backflow, and that's pretty much
only requirement for sprinkler system. The water service line, from
the meter (5/8"), is the copper yoke. 1" PE SIDR 7 connects to the
copper yoke and runs about 15" into crawlspace (undert the footing
into the crawl). Once in the crawl it converts to 3/4" PEX and goes to
the house manifold - this is pretty standard here as I have seen all
newer houses have this PE PEX pipe.

I will dig right after the meter to tap into the service. I need to
put in a shutoff ball valve and two drain valves (one right after the
shutoff, another after the double check).

The questions are where to tap in, and what are proper nipples and
fittings to use. As there is more that 2 ft to dig, I want to do it
right in the first place.

1. Sould I tap into the 1" PE or the copper segment right before the
copper/PE junction?

2. If I tap into copper, in connecting the tees/valves can I mix PVC
and brass? I know it is bad to screw a brass MIP to PVC FIP but the
other way around is acceptable. So the plan is:

Cut the copper and slip on a brass compress T (3/4x3/4x1 FIP outlet),
outlet points up. Screw a SCH 80 PVC nipple to the T outlet. Screw the
shutoff valve (1" FIP) to nipple. Another sch 80 nipple onto valve,
then a brass tee (1x1x1/2 outlet). The 1/2" outlet branches to a 1/2"
PVC nipple and to a 1/2 brass valve (the first drain). A third 1" sch
80 nipple continues up to near ground level and Ell and another PVC
nipple, to the brass double check. I am trying to use brass valves but
create lots of PVC/brass threading together. Is this OK? Or I may be
better off use sch 80 pvc valves and solvent weld everything together?

I have seen other people using galvanized nipple between all the brass
valves and fittings but I know it should not be this way due to
electrolysis.

3. If I tap into 1" PE pipe, it seems I have to use barb x barb x FIP
Tee to start. I cannot find another better T for 1" PE. Using insert T
on the service main makes me feel uneasy. Any comments?

4. Lastly, I have 7 zones, 3 on the other side of the house. Is it
better to put all 7 valves near the meter and run 3 long PE pipes
(100' - 150'), or run one 1" PE to the other side and put the 3 valves
there?

Thanks

Bob