Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Putting a hook in a steele door

Well it's getting close to that time of year and the wife wants a hook to
hang a wreath on our NEW steele entry door. Is drilling a hole in a steele
door a good idea? Have tried the stick on ones but they fail in the cold
(Maine) Any suggestions?...Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Streets" wrote

"benick" wrote

Well it's getting close to that time of year and the wife wants a hook to
hang a wreath on our NEW steele entry door. Is drilling a hole in a
steele door a good idea? Have tried the stick on ones but they fail in
the cold (Maine) Any suggestions?...Thanks

Magnetic hook?

Either those or the metal hooks that hang over the door.
Such as this:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...3&PRODID=62635

or

http://tinyurl.com/2fj99r

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 20:40:08 -0400, "benick" wrote:

Well it's getting close to that time of year and the wife wants a hook to
hang a wreath on our NEW steele entry door. Is drilling a hole in a steele
door a good idea? Have tried the stick on ones but they fail in the cold
(Maine) Any suggestions?...Thanks

Wire coat hanger: bend, shape and hang the hook at the door top?

(Temporary)

Oh, fasten the wreath...
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 8:40 pm, "benick" wrote:
Well it's getting close to that time of year and the wife wants a hook to
hang a wreath on our NEW steele entry door. Is drilling a hole in a steele
door a good idea? Have tried the stick on ones but they fail in the cold
(Maine) Any suggestions?...Thanks

Most steel entry doors have a thin layer of steel over a foam
insulating core. A hook attached to the door, unless also somehow
anchored from the inside, would not be a good idea. A large magnetic
hook is your best bet for this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..

"The Streets" wrote

"benick" wrote

Well it's getting close to that time of year and the wife wants a hook
to hang a wreath on our NEW steele entry door. Is drilling a hole in a
steele door a good idea? Have tried the stick on ones but they fail in
the cold (Maine) Any suggestions?...Thanks

Magnetic hook?

Either those or the metal hooks that hang over the door.
Such as this:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...3&PRODID=62635

or

http://tinyurl.com/2fj99r

nancy

Thankyou Nancy for the link that is EXACTLY what I need...Why didn't I think
of a magnet... DUH ,smacks myself in the head....LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

Either those or the metal hooks that hang over the door.
Such as this:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...3&PRODID=62635

or

http://tinyurl.com/2fj99r

Thankyou Nancy for the link that is EXACTLY what I need...Why didn't I
think of a magnet... DUH ,smacks myself in the head....LOL

Heh, don't worry, I get all the catalogs so I see this stuff, not
like I thought it up. I have a hanger that I put over the storm door.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 20:40:08 -0400, "benick" wrote:

Well it's getting close to that time of year and the wife wants a hook to
hang a wreath on our NEW steele entry door. Is drilling a hole in a steele
door a good idea? Have tried the stick on ones but they fail in the cold
(Maine) Any suggestions?...Thanks

I put two small screws ON TOP of the steel door, centralized, spaced
about 10" apart. The screws go into wood and project 1/8" up, enough
space to clear the top door jamb. The wreath has a 20# fishing line
loop that hooks over the screw heads. A wreath can be hung on either
side (or both sides) of the door. No marks on the door, almost
invisible, and low cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Magnetic hook?

Thankyou Nancy for the link that is EXACTLY what I need...Why didn't I think
of a magnet... DUH ,smacks myself in the head....LOL

SWMBO likes to hang seasonal stuff on our front door (steel) too. I
discouraged her from drilling a hole for a hook and she settled on
having a magnetic hook. Our door faces east and is protected by a
storm door and she likes having the sliding window in the storm door
closed. This creates an oven-type environment between the doors. One
day this summer, she noticed that the magnetic hook had been sliding
down the door. I assume the heat had melted or weakened the magnet
enough to allow it to slide. This left a trail on the door (which I
hope can be buffed out). The magnet also could not be removed as it
was stuck to the door! I removed it using dental floss. I guess if
your door does not face the sun, or is adequately ventilated you won't
have this problem.

Ripley

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Quint 5" wrote in message
. Our door faces east and is protected by a
storm door and she likes having the sliding window in the storm door
closed. This creates an oven-type environment between the doors.

The door makers recommend only using light colors on steel doors also. My
son, in spite of advice to the contrary wanted a hunter green door. He
burned his hand on it after the summer sun baked it for a couple of hours.
Makes for a good physics lesson in greenhouse effect.