Posted to alt.home.repair

Default You said it couldn't be done!!! (Sagging drain line problem)

On Oct 9, 4:31 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
BradMMwrote:
I posted a while back about needing to replace a 25 y/o toilet with a
new 1.6 gpf model and being concerned that the lack of water flow
might cause a problem in our sagging drain line. I've had to put the
hose end device on the water hose and run it through there more often
since I changed out the toilet.

While I was doing this today, I had an IDEA. What if I built a water
tank mounted above the cleanout in the back yard and plumbed it into
the end of the cleanout. When the line needed flushing, I could open
a valve at the bottom of the tank and push a lot of water through the
drain line all at (basically) one time. It would be a lot "cleaner" -
in all meanings of the word - to leave that hooked up and operate it
often. If I put the tank about the roof line, I'd get 4-5 psi force
behind it. This wouldn't be the same force as coming out of my garden
hose but there would be a much larger flow more quickly.

What do you think???

Brad

I think it'd be a bad idea for you to hold your breath while you're
waiting for a call from the Nobel Prize committee.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

NAY SAYERS!!! That's what they told Edison and Columbus!

To fix the sagging line, the concrete floor will have to be jack-
hammered and the drain routed around the house through several mature
tree root systems. BIG $$$$ If I can easily and effectively "flush"
the line, I think thought the problem would be solved.

NOW, my concern is, where the sag is may also be where the vent comes
in so, if there's water blocking the vent, it could be the reason the
toilet still doesn't flush reliably and the tub gurgles when
draining. I rented a sewer cam for this morning and will "scope it
out" including down the vent pipe to see if its open and if there's
space between any water level in the pipe and the vent pipe bottom.

I'm also going to take a garden hose and run it from the front
cleanout on the line to the street and the back cleanout. If I fill
it with water and measure the height of the top of each cleanout, I
hope to determine how bad the fall situation is in the drain line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...

BradMMwrote:
[...]

hope to determine how bad the fall situation is in the drain line.- Hide quoted text -

if you find tree roots theres a easy effective cheap
solution...........

espically common if your drain is terracota pipe