Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home outdoor surveillance

Hello,
I need to install an outdoor surveillance system. 4 cameras connected to a
PC. Where do I start? I've googled it and have seen a number of different
types, brands, etc. Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JohnnyC" wrote in :

Hello,
I need to install an outdoor surveillance system. 4 cameras connected
to a PC. Where do I start? I've googled it and have seen a number of
different types, brands, etc. Any recommendations would be very
helpful. Thank you.

WalMart now carries some digital surveillance systems.
wireless,to connect to your PC.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 18:40:58 -0400, "JohnnyC" wrote:

Hello,
I need to install an outdoor surveillance system. 4 cameras connected to a
PC. Where do I start? I've googled it and have seen a number of different
types, brands, etc. Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thank you.

Walmart has workable systems in the camera department. They have
several systems hanging on the wall with 2 cameras and then extra
camera are available on the shelves.

IP camera systems use LAN cable. Wireless cameras work fine if you
are in range ie close by. USB cameras have to be withing about 15
feet of the computer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 18:40:58 -0400, "JohnnyC" wrote:

Hello,
I need to install an outdoor surveillance system. 4 cameras connected to a
PC. Where do I start? I've googled it and have seen a number of different
types, brands, etc. Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thank you.

I've been using the Swann PC DVR 4 Net
http://www.amazon.com/Swann-PC-DVR-4-Net/dp/B0007OKRIY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0023109-3051311?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1191372429&sr=8-1
for nearly a year, and it's been working fine under Windows 2000.
As far as cameras go, get those that use CCD sensors as opposed to
CMOS. You get better resolution and light sensitivity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JohnnyC" wrote in message
Hello,
I need to install an outdoor surveillance system. 4 cameras connected to
a PC. Where do I start? I've googled it and have seen a number of
different types, brands, etc. Any recommendations would be very helpful.
Thank you.

I've had good luck with these guys www.cctvimports.com, but there are lots
of deals out there. They also carry the GeoVision DVR card, which I have and
like.

As someone else said, stay away from the CMOS cameras and I'd spend the time
to go wired (not wireless) if you can. The day/night IR colour cams are
nice. I bought a few of these:
http://www.cctvimports.com/index.php...roducts_id=374.
Not the best, but they work OK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 9:32?pm, "Bill Stock" wrote:
"JohnnyC" wrote in message

Hello,
I need to install an outdoor surveillance system. 4 cameras connected to
a PC. Where do I start? I've googled it and have seen a number of
different types, brands, etc. Any recommendations would be very helpful.
Thank you.

I've had good luck with these guyswww.cctvimports.com, but there are lots
of deals out there. They also carry the GeoVision DVR card, which I have and
like.

As someone else said, stay away from the CMOS cameras and I'd spend the time
to go wired (not wireless) if you can. The day/night IR colour cams are
nice. I bought a few of these:http://www.cctvimports.com/index.php...info&cPath=3_1....
Not the best, but they work OK.

Just install fake cameras or some fakes if you just want to discourage
people mucking around!

The presence of a camera can be a excellent deterrent cheap too!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JohnnyC" wrote in message

[...]

Thats pretty much what one will accomplish with the "all this for $299"
Walmart cameras. People set them up and get so excited that there is a
picture that they don't realize how terrible the quality is. I know 2
people who had them and there was a break-in at one place and vandalism
at another. When they reviewed the video it was impossible to tell who
it might have been.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JohnnyC" wrote in message
Hello,
I need to install an outdoor surveillance system. 4 cameras connected to a
PC. Where do I start? I've googled it and have seen a number of different
types, brands, etc. Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thank you.

If you have a "Fry's" in your area, they stock a lot.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

JohnnyC wrote:
Hello,
I need to install an outdoor surveillance system. 4 cameras connected to a
PC. Where do I start? I've googled it and have seen a number of different
types, brands, etc. Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thank you.

Try www.allelectronics.com

and

http://allphasevideosecurity.com/

Previous happy customer of both.

PB

Home Surveillance SBH Home Repair 9 January 28th 07 10:54 PM
Running outdoor Christmas lights without an outdoor outlet PM Home Ownership 2 December 16th 06 11:56 PM
Home Surveillance Mike B. Home Repair 4 August 10th 06 03:03 PM
Home Surveillance [email protected] Home Ownership 2 August 9th 06 10:04 PM
Home brew frost proof outdoor shower [email protected] Metalworking 5 May 28th 05 02:04 AM