Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower tiling questions

Retiling our entire bathroom using 6" ceramic wall tiles in the
shower. When doing a stand alone shower (no tub) with the glass door,
do most people tile the ceiling as well? If so, how do you make sure
they don't fall off while the thinset is drying?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 12:10 pm, The Other Mike wrote:
Retiling our entire bathroom using 6" ceramic wall tiles in the
shower. When doing a stand alone shower (no tub) with the glass door,
do most people tile the ceiling as well? If so, how do you make sure
they don't fall off while the thinset is drying?

Can't tell you how to keep them up while drying (I didn't live in the
house when it was installed) but our shower (in full tub, not just a
shower stall) has tile on the ceiling. In my previous house we did
not do the ceiling and wish we had. Our previous house had so-so
ventilation i9n the bath and the ceiling took a beating for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 12:10 pm, The Other Mike wrote:
Retiling our entire bathroom using 6" ceramic wall tiles in the
shower. When doing a stand alone shower (no tub) with the glass door,
do most people tile the ceiling as well? If so, how do you make sure
they don't fall off while the thinset is drying?

Don't use thinset. Tile Mastic is plenty sticky and is made for that
application.

Cam

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Other Mike wrote:
Retiling our entire bathroom using 6" ceramic wall tiles in the
shower. When doing a stand alone shower (no tub) with the glass door,
do most people tile the ceiling as well? If so, how do you make sure
they don't fall off while the thinset is drying?

Whether or not to do the ceiling is personal preference. Some
do, some don't. It is entirely up to you as there is no hard
and fast rule. Personally, I like tile everywhere. Ceiling
included.

I have never had a problem keeping them in place when the
thinset is setting up. They tend to stay in place pretty
well. If I get a tile that wants to sag, I will place a small
piece of plywood over it and use a 1x2 to brace it in place.
Or I just use a 1x2 (they are cheap).

What I don't like about doing that is that I cannot see that
it is still in place relative to the other tiles, so it
worries me more than just holding it until it stays. I like
to keep an eye on the tiles to make sure I haven't moved them
out of alighnment and the plywood covers them up so I can't
see them until it is too late.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:10:57 -0400, The Other Mike
wrote:

If so, how do you make sure
they don't fall off while the thinset is drying?

Not an expert here, but I recently watched a crew install cultured
stone (faux) on a large entryway for new home. They even placed the
stone on the ceiling. I just had to asked how they made the stone
stick to the ceiling. He explained to me that they mix the
mortar/thinset on the dry side with less water. He also stated that
they added lime to the mix (aids adhesion?).

Only a few fell off while setting. One right on his head

--
Oren

Questions about tiling Rookie_Remodeler Home Ownership 2 April 7th 07 05:11 PM
2 Tiling Questions [email protected] Home Repair 4 September 7th 06 06:23 PM
Tiling questions Col UK diy 16 May 31st 05 03:23 PM
Newbie tiling questions [email protected] UK diy 12 February 22nd 05 08:51 PM
Quick tiling questions Bill Gardener UK diy 9 March 3rd 04 11:05 PM