Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best finish for exterior steel stairs

The stairs are similar to those in the left photo he

http://americansteelonline.com/stair-steel.htm

The four stairs connect a kitchen door to ground level. Foot traffic is
fairly light, mainly one adult.

Over the decades they have been in place they developed some deep rust
pockets. (No part of the stairs or landing has actually rusted through.)
I first powerwashed everything and then scraped with a putty knife.
Finally, I removed most of the remaining rust with several applications
of Naval Jelly.

I'm looking for recommendations for finish primer and topcoat. Rust
Oleum makes oil-based primers and finishes for such use. Any better
products out there?

Thanks,

Ray
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Ray K wrote:
The stairs are similar to those in the left photo he

http://americansteelonline.com/stair-steel.htm

The four stairs connect a kitchen door to ground level. Foot traffic is
fairly light, mainly one adult.

Over the decades they have been in place they developed some deep rust
pockets. (No part of the stairs or landing has actually rusted through.)
I first powerwashed everything and then scraped with a putty knife.
Finally, I removed most of the remaining rust with several applications
of Naval Jelly.

I'm looking for recommendations for finish primer and topcoat. Rust
Oleum makes oil-based primers and finishes for such use. Any better
products out there?

Thanks,

Ray

My problem with using RustOleum is it's very long dry time - up to a
week in some cases. Might be a problem on stairs you need to walk on
before it hardens. Other than that, it's a pretty good product.

Red

Best finish for exterior stairs Ray K Home Repair 2 September 30th 07 04:05 AM
Exterior Stairs jebber007 Home Repair 1 April 7th 06 10:18 AM
Exterior Stairs jebber007 Home Repair 0 April 6th 06 10:00 PM
Exterior Stairs jebber007 Home Repair 0 April 6th 06 09:59 PM
Exterior Stairs jebber007 Home Repair 0 April 6th 06 09:35 PM