Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garbage disposal leak

I recently installed a new Badger 10s garbage disposal to replace the
older, much wider unit which had died. The new unit is slimmer than
the old unit and the elbow drain connector which came with the new
unit was too short to reach the existing drain out from under the
sink. I purchased and installed a "universal" drain connector which
is accordian style to adjust the length. It fit fine, but since then
I've noticed some dripping from the point where the drain inlet meets
the disposal.

I've tightened the screws holding the drain pipe on the disposal as
much as I can, but it still drips a little, especially after using the
disposal.

Is there some sort of sealant I can swab on there to make it more
water tight? Any other suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, your FIRST mistake was to not buy a replacement that occupied the same
"space" as the old one.

But that's water over the dam.

Insofar as possible you want the last adaptor piece to have no stress on it.

If you don't have enough slip joints in the drain then you might have to
replace some of the drain plumbing so that the adaptor just "slides" into
place after the disposal is in place.

Frankly, they can stand a "little" misallignment (I know that from
experience) so you might really be forcing things.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently installed a new Badger 10s garbage disposal to replace the
older, much wider unit which had died. The new unit is slimmer than
the old unit and the elbow drain connector which came with the new
unit was too short to reach the existing drain out from under the
sink. I purchased and installed a "universal" drain connector which
is accordian style to adjust the length. It fit fine, but since then
I've noticed some dripping from the point where the drain inlet meets
the disposal.

I've tightened the screws holding the drain pipe on the disposal as
much as I can, but it still drips a little, especially after using the
disposal.

Is there some sort of sealant I can swab on there to make it more
water tight? Any other suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you are sure it's coming out from the screwed flanged joint
between the drain pipe and the disposal body, remove the screws and
check the gasket to make sure it wasn't damaged during installation.
If the gasket looks OK, then try smearing a film of silicone caulk on
both sides of it and reinstalling it.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Well, your FIRST mistake was to not buy a replacement that
occupied the same "space" as the old one.

Couldn't be helped. The old one was 10+ years old and huge. The ones
they make now are smaller and more powerful.

If you don't have enough slip joints in the drain then you might
have to replace some of the drain plumbing so that the adaptor just
"slides" into place after the disposal is in place.

Not quite sure I follow. It's dripping where the water drains out of
the disposal, not where the end of the drain line meets the drain
plumbing.