Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The Habitat for Humanity ReStore?

Has anyone here used the Habitat for Humanity ReStore?

Just discovered one is in our area now. It is a 40 mile drive round
trip, so I thought I would ask before I drive. I see they take
donations and I have some gently used things from around the house I
could donate.

Experience at the store? Prices, variety, etc...

Thanks.

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 6:20 pm, Oren wrote:
Has anyone here used the Habitat for Humanity ReStore?

Just discovered one is in our area now. It is a 40 mile drive round
trip, so I thought I would ask before I drive. I see they take
donations and I have some gently used things from around the house I
could donate.

Experience at the store? Prices, variety, etc...

Thanks.

--
Oren

"I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

There are three Habitat Stores within driving distance of my house.
I've donated useful stuff and seen useful stuff in each.
It is a good cause. The folks who buy have to put in several hundred
hours work and pay a mortgage.
Volunteering is fun too. Work can be more or less efficient depending
on the Construction Manager.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 5:20 pm, Oren wrote:
Has anyone here used the Habitat for Humanity ReStore?

Just discovered one is in our area now. It is a 40 mile drive round
trip, so I thought I would ask before I drive. I see they take
donations and I have some gently used things from around the house I
could donate.

Experience at the store? Prices, variety, etc...

Thanks.

--
Oren

"I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

I am a landlord in Milwaukee, and I love the one we have here. It is
one of those things I like to keep to myself. :-)

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

There is one in Gurnee Il.
You used to be able to get cabs for $10 each no matter what
the condition. Now it's extremly close to full price. Same goes
for light fixtures, ceiling fans, and a few other items. It has lately
turned out to be a big disapointment. Hope the other are better.
Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
Has anyone here used the Habitat for Humanity ReStore?

Just discovered one is in our area now. It is a 40 mile drive round
trip, so I thought I would ask before I drive. I see they take
donations and I have some gently used things from around the house I
could donate.

Experience at the store? Prices, variety, etc...

Thanks.

Eh. Depends on site, depends on current donations- like any thrift store,
only good way to tell is go and look. I hit the one here (Battle Creek, MI)
every month or so, but usually walk out empty-handed. Some of the stuff they
have had on display should have gone directly to landfill, like nasty
furniture, delaminated cabinets, etc. But they occasionally have some great
things, like unused solid core door slabs suitable for work tables for 20
bucks. The best stuff is usually from when some other store or
industrial/governmental 'greenshirt' shop cleans out their back room, and
hauls it off to the ReStore instead of the dump. Most of the
individually-donated ripout material seems to be pretty well trashed out,
either because it was de-installed less than carefully, or because it was
simply shot, which is why most people replace things.

But I'm not dissing them- good organization, hearts in the right place, etc.
I just think that if they were a little choosier at what they put IN the
store, and sorted it out better, they might get a lot more repeat customers,
and make more money. I go mainly for recreation, when there are no good
auctions. Somebody doing repairs for a living, well, time is money. If he
has to spend an hour going through window rack to find that one matching
orphan storm window panel, just to save 20 bucks, replacing the entire storm
window with a cheapie from the borg starts to look pretty good. In and out
in five minutes, and he KNOWS the borg will have it in stock.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 4:20 pm, Oren wrote:
Has anyone here used the Habitat for Humanity ReStore?

Just discovered one is in our area now. It is a 40 mile drive round
trip, so I thought I would ask before I drive. I see they take
donations and I have some gently used things from around the house I
could donate.

Experience at the store? Prices, variety, etc...

Thanks.

--
Oren

"I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Our store here (up in Edmonton, Canada) is pretty weak, generally a
lot of junky stuff, plenty of overstock items that haven't been
selling in the hardware store, usually for obvious reasons. There is
one private store that has the same concept, but they are more
selective (although, in fairness, I think they actually pay for at
least some of their inventory).

Good luck, though, hopefully your experience is better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"Oren" wrote in message
[...]

Just like a thrift shop, the good stuff will go out the door in a moment. The
bad stays until they dump it to make space. So that's what you see.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 20, 6:20 pm, Oren wrote:
Has anyone here used the Habitat for Humanity ReStore?

Just discovered one is in our area now. It is a 40 mile drive round
trip, so I thought I would ask before I drive. I see they take
donations and I have some gently used things from around the house I
could donate.

Experience at the store? Prices, variety, etc...

Thanks.

--
Oren

"I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

There are three Habitat Stores within driving distance of my house.
I've donated useful stuff and seen useful stuff in each.
It is a good cause. The folks who buy have to put in several hundred
hours work and pay a mortgage.

ask them how long does one have to own the house before selling, and who
gets the appreciated cost above the original selling price.

hint: not the owner.

Volunteering is fun too. Work can be more or less efficient depending
on the Construction Manager.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 02:01:18 GMT, "aemeijers" wrote:

Eh. Depends on site, depends on current donations- like any thrift store,
only good way to tell is go and look. I hit the one here (Battle Creek, MI)
every month or so, but usually walk out empty-handed. Some of the stuff they
have had on display should have gone directly to landfill, like nasty
furniture, delaminated cabinets, etc. But they occasionally have some great
things, like unused solid core door slabs suitable for work tables for 20
bucks. The best stuff is usually from when some other store or
industrial/governmental 'greenshirt' shop cleans out their back room, and
hauls it off to the ReStore instead of the dump. Most of the
individually-donated ripout material seems to be pretty well trashed out,
either because it was de-installed less than carefully, or because it was
simply shot, which is why most people replace things.

You are wrong. I bought a doz new door weather strips (plastic $1, aluminum
$1.50, HD sell them for more than $6.00ea). I also bought two new cast iron
vanity sink for $25ea. These are left over from project or remodeling by
contractors or home owners. I bought only what I need and I can use on my house
rather than paying many time more at Home Centers or hardware stores.

But I'm not dissing them- good organization, hearts in the right place, etc.
I just think that if they were a little choosier at what they put IN the
store, and sorted it out better, they might get a lot more repeat customers,
and make more money. I go mainly for recreation, when there are no good
auctions. Somebody doing repairs for a living, well, time is money. If he
has to spend an hour going through window rack to find that one matching
orphan storm window panel, just to save 20 bucks, replacing the entire storm
window with a cheapie from the borg starts to look pretty good. In and out
in five minutes, and he KNOWS the borg will have it in stock.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John JJ" wrote in message
[...]

Read what I wrote again- I said RIPOUT material donated by individuals, not
project leftovers. Unused half-boxes and roll ends of stuff are fine, if it
is a style you need, and there is enough for your project. Ripout material
refers to USED stuff, not leftover NEW stuff. Used cabinets and doors and
plumbing fixtures or light fixtures and such can be fine, if they are in
good condition and removed and transported carefully. Most DIYs do not seem
to be able to do that. And as I noted, most people do not replace stuff
unless it is worn out- if they replace stuff on a whim just to change the
style, they are probably rich enough to HAVE it done, and it never gets near
a ReStore in the first place. (Most contractors won't take the time to haul
it down there, unless the owner tells them to and pays for the extra time
and labor.) Good to hear the DIYs and contractors in your area seem to be
better than the ones here, on that score.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John JJ" wrote in message
You are wrong. I bought a doz new door weather strips (plastic $1,
aluminum
$1.50, HD sell them for more than $6.00ea). I also bought two new cast
iron
vanity sink for $25ea. These are left over from project or remodeling by
contractors or home owners. I bought only what I need and I can use on my
house
rather than paying many time more at Home Centers or hardware stores.

So, if he is wrong and you are right I can expect to get that same material
and prices at every HH ReStore? I'm going this morning to get two of the
cast iron sinks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 06:47:35 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

So, if he is wrong and you are right I can expect to get that same material
and prices at every HH ReStore? I'm going this morning to get two of the
cast iron sinks.

I am sure you are not that stupid, not every store sells the same items. If you
live in the SF Bay Areas, you might wanna go to the store in Oakland at San
Leando and buy the same vanity sink marked up price is $65 and I bargain to $25.
Beside, they have boxes and shelves of woodworking hardware's, hinges, knobs.
cocking, electrical switches, etc.... and they are new! In a Midwest store, they
thousand of new various water hammer arrester for $1. This store has stacks of
new floor tiles, cabinets' doors, vanity tops and used kitchen sinks blah, blah,
blah...

Habitats' stores are not for the lazy rich homeowner. It's for DIY, who wanna
buy items (new or used) found in Home Centers at a fraction of the price. It's
for people who believe in recycling someone new trash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:18:45 -0700, John JJ wrote:

Correction:

Habitats' stores are not for the lazy rich homeowner. It's for DIY, who wanna
recycling new or used rich's homeowners trash at a fraction of the prices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, if he is wrong and you are right I can expect to get that same
material
and prices at every HH ReStore? I'm going this morning to get two of the
cast iron sinks.

I am sure you are not that stupid, not every store sells the same items.

Exactly. But that is the implication of your last post when you told
another poster he was wrong. You cannot make blanket statements when local
stores have different items from local sources on a daily basis.

Habitat for humanity any volunteers here? [email protected] Home Repair 18 March 18th 06 03:17 PM
Habitat for Humanity ReStore Andrew Crabtree Woodworking 2 September 20th 05 03:38 AM
HABITAT FOR ANTS J T Woodworking 0 May 7th 05 12:56 AM
Back from Habitat for Humanity II Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 0 August 31st 04 05:51 PM
Just Back from Habitat for Humanity Outlet Store Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 4 July 18th 04 02:31 AM