Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No-Shed Electric Blanket Suggestions

I have been using a Sunbeam brand electric blanket that I bought from
K-Mart and it sheds so much of its surface fibers that I have to
vacuum the bedroom floor daily. The top fibers seem to be loose and
they just fall off and all over the place even when not disturbed.
I've put it through the washing machine a couple of times and it still
sheds like a hairy dog in summer. Sad, because I really love the
warmth that an electric blanket provides.

Are there any specific brands or fiber types or models of electric
blankets that do not exhibit this fabric separation problem? Acrylic
vs. cotton, etc.?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are there any specific brands or fiber types or models of electric
blankets that do not exhibit this fabric separation problem? Acrylic
vs. cotton, etc.?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'd like to know too! All of my Sunbeam blankets have shed like
madness, and it seems like it continues no matter how old the blanket
gets. I find the fibers everywhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been using a Sunbeam brand electric blanket that I bought from
K-Mart and it sheds so much of its surface fibers that I have to
vacuum the bedroom floor daily. The top fibers seem to be loose and
they just fall off and all over the place even when not disturbed.
I've put it through the washing machine a couple of times and it still
sheds like a hairy dog in summer. Sad, because I really love the
warmth that an electric blanket provides.

Are there any specific brands or fiber types or models of electric
blankets that do not exhibit this fabric separation problem? Acrylic
vs. cotton, etc.?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Obviously defective. When you called Sunbeam, using their toll free number,
what did they say about it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:17:32 -0500, Robert Barr
wrote:

Are there any specific brands or fiber types or models of electric
blankets that do not exhibit this fabric separation problem? Acrylic
vs. cotton, etc.?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'd like to know too! All of my Sunbeam blankets have shed like
madness, and it seems like it continues no matter how old the blanket
gets. I find the fibers everywhere.

I have the same problem.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."
Posted to alt.home.repair

I like Biddleford electric blankets. All my SUnbeams died after a year
(three of them). They slowley stopped getting hot. Biddlefords speciffically
say no degradation over time. I think you will find that all electric
blankets are made with this nonwoven fleece type blanket material and they
will all shed .

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been using a Sunbeam brand electric blanket that I bought from
K-Mart and it sheds so much of its surface fibers that I have to
vacuum the bedroom floor daily. The top fibers seem to be loose and
they just fall off and all over the place even when not disturbed.
I've put it through the washing machine a couple of times and it still
sheds like a hairy dog in summer. Sad, because I really love the
warmth that an electric blanket provides.

Are there any specific brands or fiber types or models of electric
blankets that do not exhibit this fabric separation problem? Acrylic
vs. cotton, etc.?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jmagerl" wrote:

I think you will find that all electric
blankets are made with this nonwoven fleece type blanket material and they
will all shed .

Hmmm...sounds like a good reason to go with a down
comforter then. yes?

Especially if you suffer from allergies!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been using a Sunbeam brand electric blanket that I bought from
K-Mart and it sheds so much of its surface fibers that I have to
vacuum the bedroom floor daily.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

We have this one. No shedding at all.
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...xx.esn_results

--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Czlowiek wrote:

One night sparks were flashing in the dark from my electric blanket. I
threw it out in the back yard. Never used one again. Don't wanna have a
fire.

Lightweight. When that happened to me, I opened up the junction box
inside the blanket and resoldered the cracked connection. It's a Sunbeam
and never sheds, and has lasted several years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:54:39 -0700, "
wrote:

I have been using a Sunbeam brand electric blanket that I bought from
K-Mart and it sheds so much of its surface fibers that I have to
vacuum the bedroom floor daily. The top fibers seem to be loose and
they just fall off and all over the place even when not disturbed.
I've put it through the washing machine a couple of times and it still
sheds like a hairy dog in summer. Sad, because I really love the
warmth that an electric blanket provides.

Are there any specific brands or fiber types or models of electric
blankets that do not exhibit this fabric separation problem? Acrylic
vs. cotton, etc.?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

You could go with an electric mattress pad instead. It goes under the
bottom sheet. I actually prefer the warmth coming from below. The
one we have (probably sunbeam) has a preheat button that turns it to
high for a few minutes before automatically returning to the setting.
One of us just hits the preheat buttons before getting changed for bed
and it's all toasty by the time we hit the sheets.

HTH,

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Would it work to put the shedding electric blanket under the bottom
sheet?