Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does epoxy get old?

I have the better part of a gallon of West's epoxy that is maybe 3 years
old. The hardener had turned brown.
It seems to work just fine.
Is it okay to use, or has it been compromised?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 5:56 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I have the better part of a gallon of West's epoxy that is maybe 3 years
old. The hardener had turned brown.
It seems to work just fine.
Is it okay to use, or has it been compromised?

West Systems hardener will turn redish brown when exposed to moisture.

As per their website:

"PROBLEM: Hardener has turned red after several years storage.

POSSIBLE CAUSES & SOLUTIONS:

Moisture in contact with hardener and metal container.

Red color is a normal condition. It will not affect epoxy handling or
cured strength. Avoid using for clear coating or exposed areas where
color is not desired."

Been there, got that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 14, 5:56 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I have the better part of a gallon of West's epoxy that is maybe 3 years
old. The hardener had turned brown.
It seems to work just fine.
Is it okay to use, or has it been compromised?

West Systems hardener will turn redish brown when exposed to moisture.

As per their website:

"PROBLEM: Hardener has turned red after several years storage.

POSSIBLE CAUSES & SOLUTIONS:

Moisture in contact with hardener and metal container.

Red color is a normal condition. It will not affect epoxy handling or
cured strength. Avoid using for clear coating or exposed areas where
color is not desired."

Been there, got that.

I suppose I should have looked at the West website first... But thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 5:56 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I have the better part of a gallon of West's epoxy that is maybe 3 years
old. The hardener had turned brown.
It seems to work just fine.
Is it okay to use, or has it been compromised?

West Systems hardener will turn redish brown when exposed to moisture.

As per their website:

"PROBLEM: Hardener has turned red after several years storage.

POSSIBLE CAUSES & SOLUTIONS:

Moisture in contact with hardener and metal container.

Red color is a normal condition. It will not affect epoxy handling or
cured strength. Avoid using for clear coating or exposed areas where
color is not desired."

Been there, got that.

I suppose I should have looked at the West website first... But thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Well, I knew the answer cuz I've been using West Systems epoxy
products for years. I only quoted the website to back up what I
already knew. Glad to have helped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 14, 5:56 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I have the better part of a gallon of West's epoxy that is maybe 3 years
old. The hardener had turned brown.
It seems to work just fine.
Is it okay to use, or has it been compromised?

West Systems hardener will turn redish brown when exposed to moisture.

As per their website:

"PROBLEM: Hardener has turned red after several years storage.

POSSIBLE CAUSES & SOLUTIONS:

Moisture in contact with hardener and metal container.

Red color is a normal condition. It will not affect epoxy handling or
cured strength. Avoid using for clear coating or exposed areas where
color is not desired."

Been there, got that.

Hardeners are normally amines that darken with oxidation. Sometimes it
only takes a few parts per million to do this. Everything should still
work fine. Best to keep ingredients cool, dry and out of sunlight. I
have epoxies and hardeners in basement cabinet that I think are still
good after over 30 years storage.

Frank

Best Epoxy Scott Smith Home Repair 13 August 10th 06 07:21 PM
epoxy Paul Oman Home Repair 4 September 19th 05 07:03 PM
Epoxy Art and Diane Woodturning 11 September 6th 05 03:39 PM
Does fresh epoxy stick to dried epoxy? Icepick Woodworking 14 April 23rd 05 04:06 AM
Epoxy UTRECHT Woodworking 6 February 23rd 04 02:43 AM