Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stair railing

I have a waist high wall between 2 parallel staircases, that go from
the 1st to 2nd floor. I want to install some type of railing on top of
it. The wall is 5 inches wide.

Is this something that would need to be custom-made? Any ideas out
there?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jerry wrote:

I have a waist high wall between 2 parallel staircases, that go from
the 1st to 2nd floor. I want to install some type of railing on top of
it. The wall is 5 inches wide.

Is this something that would need to be custom-made? Any ideas out
there?

Almost all stair railing is custom made. There might be
something out there that you could use, but it would have to
be a generic angle that would fit most stairs and may not fit
yours exactly.

I have a question, why do you have 2 staircases side by side?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:43:15 GMT, Robert Allison
wrote:

Jerry wrote:

I have a waist high wall between 2 parallel staircases, that go from
the 1st to 2nd floor. I want to install some type of railing on top of
it. The wall is 5 inches wide.

Is this something that would need to be custom-made? Any ideas out
there?

Almost all stair railing is custom made. There might be
something out there that you could use, but it would have to
be a generic angle that would fit most stairs and may not fit
yours exactly.

I have a question, why do you have 2 staircases side by side?

The stairs go up 6 steps; there is a small landing where you make 2
right turns, then go up 6 more steps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jerry wrote:
I have a waist high wall between 2 parallel staircases, that go from
the 1st to 2nd floor. I want to install some type of railing on top of
it. The wall is 5 inches wide.

Is this something that would need to be custom-made? Any ideas out
there?

Believe it or not, some government organizations have detailed building
codes governing residential stair railings including diameter, offset,
height from tread, material, anchoring, finish, load tolerance,
blah-blah-blah.

For example, here's 27,000 words governing stair rails for California.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/title8/3214.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/10/2007 6:53 PM HeyBub said the following:
Jerry wrote:

I have a waist high wall between 2 parallel staircases, that go from
the 1st to 2nd floor. I want to install some type of railing on top of
it. The wall is 5 inches wide.

Is this something that would need to be custom-made? Any ideas out
there?

Believe it or not, some government organizations have detailed building
codes governing residential stair railings including diameter, offset,
height from tread, material, anchoring, finish, load tolerance,
blah-blah-blah.

For example, here's 27,000 words governing stair rails for California.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/title8/3214.html

You do know that those CA laws only apply to places of employment, right?
http://www.dir.ca.gov/title8/3200.html

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:53:24 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Believe it or not, some government organizations have detailed building
codes governing residential stair railings including diameter, offset,
height from tread, material, anchoring, finish, load tolerance,
blah-blah-blah.

Yep, even padded rooms for some residents!

For example, here's 27,000 words governing stair rails for California.

To many words

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jerry" wrote in message
I have a waist high wall between 2 parallel staircases, that go from
the 1st to 2nd floor. I want to install some type of railing on top of
it. The wall is 5 inches wide.

Is this something that would need to be custom-made? Any ideas out
there?

A good lumber yard will have or can order everything you need. You may have
to cut a few things to size, but it can all be done from standard
components.