Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to detect pipes/wires in masonry

I live in a double-brick house. I want to drill some holes inside the
house for screws to hang things. How do you check for pipes or live
wires so I don't drill into them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ChrisW" wrote in message
ps.com...
I live in a double-brick house. I want to drill some holes inside the
house for screws to hang things. How do you check for pipes or live
wires so I don't drill into them?

What is on the inside, is it just brick or furring strips with plaster lath
or drywall? Many stud finders have built in wire detectors that should
work. If you are in a cold climate, there is probably no plumbing on the
outside walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 9:40 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"ChrisW" wrote in message

ps.com...

I live in a double-brick house. I want to drill some holes inside the
house for screws to hang things. How do you check for pipes or live
wires so I don't drill into them?

What is on the inside, is it just brick or furring strips with plaster lath
or drywall? Many stud finders have built in wire detectors that should
work. If you are in a cold climate, there is probably no plumbing on the
outside walls.

Do stud finders work through brick?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I suppose I would use a metal detector.

My stud finder has settings for detecting metal and electricity but
I'm not confident it would work through something as dense as brick.

Using one for finding metal underground would probably work best.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...

I suppose I would use a metal detector.

My stud finder has settings for detecting metal and electricity but
I'm not confident it would work through something as dense as brick.

Using one for finding metal underground would probably work best.

Do you have a brick wall where you know there is a pipe or wire? If so, set
up a test with the stud finder or metal detector.

TKM

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ChrisW" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 9, 9:40 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"ChrisW" wrote in message

ps.com...

I live in a double-brick house. I want to drill some holes inside the
house for screws to hang things. How do you check for pipes or live
wires so I don't drill into them?

What is on the inside, is it just brick or furring strips with plaster
lath
or drywall? Many stud finders have built in wire detectors that should
work. If you are in a cold climate, there is probably no plumbing on the
outside walls.

Do stud finders work through brick?

That is why I asked you about the construction on the inside. If it is
exposed brick, there won't be any wires or plumbing in the brick and anchors
to hold a picture do not have to penetrate so far as to go through a brick.
OTOH, my last house had double brick construction and there were furring
strips and plasterboard on top so there were wires in between. No plumbing
though.

Off hand, I don't know how far the stud finder will find metal.