Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to ask about normal (domestic) fridge temperatures?

Some pre- cooked ham in a package recently went 'off' in our fridge. A
few weeks after it was opened but kept continuously in the fridge.

The fridge works fine. The temperature in its freezer compartment
maintains at 0 deg. F. as always.

Weather (for here) has been a little warmer of late. Last few days
around 70 Deg F. Not hot at all by most people's experience! The air
balance between freezer and fridge compartments does not appear to
have changed.

The temperature in the meat tray which also contains some bacon and
sausages (they're OK) is just a tad below 40 deg F. Which seems
normal. Milk and other items in the main fridge compartment have not
spoiled.

Can someone suggest a suitable 'food' news group to address my
question. Maybe ham is just a little more liable to to spoil? Or it
was just bad batch? Another slightly newer package is OK.

Sorry to be OT but the helpful discussion on plantar warts has
emboldened me. And just maybe the fridge does need some repair?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 9:58 am, terry wrote:
[...]

Sounds about to be expected- (a few weeks)

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:

[...]

A few weeks? Are you kidding? Your temps are appropriate, but storing
any meat for weeks will not keep it fresh and edible unless frozen. The
package should give some guidance.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...y/index.asp#13
Posted to alt.home.repair

beecrofter wrote:
On Sep 1, 9:58 am, terry wrote:
[...]

My thoughts, exactly!
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
Some pre- cooked ham in a package recently went 'off' in our
fridge. A few weeks after it was opened but kept continuously in
the fridge.

A few *WEEKS*???? Sorry, the missus and I have to cancel our
attendance at your dinner party...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 1:36 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
I'd say everything seems normal and don't worry about ham not lasting more
than a few weeks after being opened. If you can't eat it fast enough
repackage it in smaller units and freeze some of it.- Hide quoted text -

OK thanks; that's what we have done with some other items; separate
into smaller amounts and then freeze.
This package had been re wrapped thus losing the the original
"Packaged on" and "Best before" dates. Musta been older than realised!
Terry

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:

How long can I keep leftovers in the fridge?
Is the sniff test good enough? No! When in doubt, throw it out.
Following are guidelines for the maximum length of time you should
keep foods in the refrigerator. These short but safe time limits will
help keep refrigerated foods from spoiling or becoming dangerous to
eat. If you can't remember, try dating containers with masking tape
labels.

Food: Time in Fridge
Ham, fully cooked, slices--3 to 4 days
Hamburger & stew meat--1 to 2 days
Ground turkey, veal, pork, lamb & mixtures--1 to 2 days
Roasts--3 to 5 days
Soup & Stews: vegetable or meat added--3 to 4 days
Cooked meat and meat casseroles--3 to 4 days
Gravy and meat broth--1 to 2 days
Fried chicken--3 to 4 days
Cooked poultry casseroles--3 to 4 days
Cooked poultry, pieces, plain--3 to 4 days
Chicken nuggets, patties--1 to 2 days
Pizza--3 to 4 days
Stuffing-cooked--3 to 4 days
Cooked fish--3 to 4 day
Cooked shellfish--3 to 4 days
________________

More...
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/fn579-1.htm#Table

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om, terry wrote:
Some pre- cooked ham in a package recently went 'off' in our fridge. A
few weeks after it was opened but kept continuously in the fridge.

"A few weeks" is plenty of time for food to go bad even if it's refrigerated.

The fridge works fine. The temperature in its freezer compartment
maintains at 0 deg. F. as always.

Weather (for here) has been a little warmer of late. Last few days
around 70 Deg F. Not hot at all by most people's experience! The air
balance between freezer and fridge compartments does not appear to
have changed.

The temperature in the meat tray which also contains some bacon and
sausages (they're OK) is just a tad below 40 deg F. Which seems
normal. Milk and other items in the main fridge compartment have not
spoiled.

40F *is* normal -- as shown by your milk.

Can someone suggest a suitable 'food' news group to address my
question. Maybe ham is just a little more liable to to spoil? Or it
was just bad batch? Another slightly newer package is OK.

No, you just left it too long after opening it. That's all. Expecting an
opened package of meat to keep for several weeks is unreasonable.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/1/2007 12:12 PM terry said the following:
On Sep 1, 1:36 pm, Meat Plow wrote:

I'd say everything seems normal and don't worry about ham not lasting more
than a few weeks after being opened. If you can't eat it fast enough
repackage it in smaller units and freeze some of it.- Hide quoted text -

OK thanks; that's what we have done with some other items; separate
into smaller amounts and then freeze.
This package had been re wrapped thus losing the the original
"Packaged on" and "Best before" dates. Musta been older than realised!
Terry

Meat should never be kept in the fridge unless...
It was frozen and you are slowly defrosting it, or;
you will be cooking it within the day or two.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

Meat should never be kept in the fridge unless...
It was frozen and you are slowly defrosting it, or;
you will be cooking it within the day or two.

Right. I keep sand in the "Meat" tray.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/1/2007 5:00 PM HeyBub said the following:
willshak wrote:

Meat should never be kept in the fridge unless...
It was frozen and you are slowly defrosting it, or;
you will be cooking it within the day or two.

Right. I keep sand in the "Meat" tray.

I keep cold-cuts in there. The defrosting, or ready to use meat, is kept
on one of the shelves.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message

OK thanks; that's what we have done with some other items; separate
into smaller amounts and then freeze.
This package had been re wrapped thus losing the the original
"Packaged on" and "Best before" dates. Musta been older than realised!
Terry

Get a Foodsaver vacuum sealer. Things keep much longer that way. Frozen
stuff does not get freezer burn even after 2 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My meat tray on mine is about 36 when room is 80
I can adjust it slightly with extra air, but it also is sensitive to
ice buildup in the freezer coils. If that happens I just run thru
several defrost cycles in a row using the timer.

I keep a thermometer in my fridge.

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 06:58:21 -0700, terry
wrote:

[...]

Water dispenser leak in new fridge - Normal? R Kannan Home Ownership 4 May 3rd 07 01:33 PM
cracking drywall, what normal, not normal [email protected] Home Repair 8 August 5th 06 07:27 AM
Fridge/freezer temperatures... RodC UK diy 11 April 23rd 06 09:51 AM
house temperatures sponix UK diy 68 February 20th 06 10:51 PM
batteries in low temperatures Rocket Ron UK diy 2 January 31st 06 10:15 PM