Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Where to ask about normal (domestic) fridge temperatures?

terry wrote:

Some pre- cooked ham in a package recently went 'off' in our fridge. A
few weeks after it was opened but kept continuously in the fridge.

The fridge works fine. The temperature in its freezer compartment
maintains at 0 deg. F. as always.

Weather (for here) has been a little warmer of late. Last few days
around 70 Deg F. Not hot at all by most people's experience! The air
balance between freezer and fridge compartments does not appear to
have changed.

The temperature in the meat tray which also contains some bacon and
sausages (they're OK) is just a tad below 40 deg F. Which seems
normal. Milk and other items in the main fridge compartment have not
spoiled.

Can someone suggest a suitable 'food' news group to address my
question. Maybe ham is just a little more liable to to spoil? Or it
was just bad batch? Another slightly newer package is OK.

Sorry to be OT but the helpful discussion on plantar warts has
emboldened me. And just maybe the fridge does need some repair?

A few weeks? Are you kidding? Your temps are appropriate, but storing
any meat for weeks will not keep it fresh and edible unless frozen. The
package should give some guidance.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...y/index.asp#13