Posted to alt.home.repair
cc cc is offline

Default extending metal poles for fencing

Anyone know if there is a way to extend the standrad metal poles that
support fencing via some type of collar or splice kit? I need to
extend existing in ground, in concrete poles due to change of
elevation in my yard. Cannot pull and rebury longer - need to work
with what is there - 8' poles, with 6' showing.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph,

I think that the OP meant that they are 8' poles with 2' buried and 6'
above grade. It's not clear why he can't pull these poles and use longer
ones. I agree that extending the above grade height of the poles without
burying them deeper may be a problem. It might help to know how much he
wants to extend the poles above grade.
Assuming he knows what he is doing, I bet several feet of pole with an
outer diameter slightly less then the inner diameter of the existing pole
could be epoxied in to connect the pole with it's extension. Welding might
be a better solution than epoxy.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

David Martel wrote:
Joseph,

I think that the OP meant that they are 8' poles with 2' buried and 6'
above grade. It's not clear why he can't pull these poles and use longer
ones. I agree that extending the above grade height of the poles without
burying them deeper may be a problem. It might help to know how much he
wants to extend the poles above grade.
Assuming he knows what he is doing, I bet several feet of pole with an
outer diameter slightly less then the inner diameter of the existing pole
could be epoxied in to connect the pole with it's extension. Welding might
be a better solution than epoxy.

Using the smaller diameter as a connection pin would also be possible.
One could drill and pin them for permanent connection if welder isn't
available.

Depending on what they're supporting and how much extension is needed,
wind loads could become an issue. Just noticed the other day the right
foul line fence at one of the local little league fields was laying
flat. Standard chain link w/ the green plastic privacy barrier on it --
that happens here about once every couple of years. Yesterday the city
had set new posts --

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 31, 7:51 am, "David Martel" wrote:

snip

several feet of pole with an
outer diameter slightly less then the inner diameter of the existing pole
could be epoxied in to connect the pole with it's extension. Welding might
be a better solution than epoxy.

Welding must be followed by a zinc-rich paint to avoid rusting. Epoxy
wouls eliminate that step. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 10:05 am, Joe wrote:
On Aug 31, 7:51 am, "David Martel" wrote:

snip

several feet of pole with an
outer diameter slightly less then the inner diameter of the existing pole
could be epoxied in to connect the pole with it's extension. Welding might
be a better solution than epoxy.

Welding must be followed by a zinc-rich paint to avoid rusting. Epoxy
wouls eliminate that step. HTH

Welding galvanized steel creates toxic fumes. Don't want to
try if you're a beginner.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cc cc is offline

On Aug 31, 11:13 am, Father Haskell wrote:
On Aug 31, 10:05 am, Joe wrote:

On Aug 31, 7:51 am, "David Martel" wrote:

snip

several feet of pole with an
outer diameter slightly less then the inner diameter of the existing pole
could be epoxied in to connect the pole with it's extension. Welding might
be a better solution than epoxy.

Welding must be followed by a zinc-rich paint to avoid rusting. Epoxy
wouls eliminate that step. HTH

Welding galvanized steel creates toxic fumes. Don't want to
try if you're a beginner.

so it sounds like the only real way to do this is to pull and replace
with longer poles..if 7-8 feet above grade how much should be buried?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 10:05 am, Joe wrote:

On Aug 31, 7:51 am, "David Martel" wrote:

snip

several feet of pole with an
outer diameter slightly less then the inner diameter of the existing pole
could be epoxied in to connect the pole with it's extension. Welding might
be a better solution than epoxy.

Welding must be followed by a zinc-rich paint to avoid rusting. Epoxy
wouls eliminate that step. HTH

Welding galvanized steel creates toxic fumes. Don't want to
try if you're a beginner.

so it sounds like the only real way to do this is to pull and replace
with longer poles..if 7-8 feet above grade how much should be buried?

Only if they don't make a screw-on type pole coupler, like with metal
electrical conduit.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 10:05 am, Joe wrote:

On Aug 31, 7:51 am, "David Martel" wrote:

snip

several feet of pole with an
outer diameter slightly less then the inner diameter of the existing pole
could be epoxied in to connect the pole with it's extension. Welding might
be a better solution than epoxy.

Welding must be followed by a zinc-rich paint to avoid rusting. Epoxy
wouls eliminate that step. HTH

Welding galvanized steel creates toxic fumes. Don't want to
try if you're a beginner.

so it sounds like the only real way to do this is to pull and replace
with longer poles..if 7-8 feet above grade how much should be buried?

No, the adding on of additional pipe length is a potentially viable
solution BUT

whether it will work, all depends on.............

soil conditions, size of current concrete "footings", current pipe
dimensions (id, od OR od & wall thickness), length of desired add-on,
current / future fencing material, number of poles in fence line.

cheers
Bob

without this information it is diffciuld to make an informed
suggestion

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 10:05 am, Joe wrote:

On Aug 31, 7:51 am, "David Martel" wrote:

snip

several feet of pole with an
outer diameter slightly less then the inner diameter of the existing pole
could be epoxied in to connect the pole with it's extension. Welding might
be a better solution than epoxy.

Welding must be followed by a zinc-rich paint to avoid rusting. Epoxy
wouls eliminate that step. HTH

Welding galvanized steel creates toxic fumes. Don't want to
try if you're a beginner.

so it sounds like the only real way to do this is to pull and replace
with longer poles..if 7-8 feet above grade how much should be buried?- Hide quoted text -

Inspectors here must measure your hole depths before you set the posts
and it should be minimum 42 inches. Even at this depth I have had
frost heave bad enough to keep the gates from working, I should have
went 48 inches. I had to raise the latches on all the gates about 2
inches this spring. Your codes may differ.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cc wrote:
Anyone know if there is a way to extend the standrad metal poles that
support fencing via some type of collar or splice kit? I need to
extend existing in ground, in concrete poles due to change of
elevation in my yard. Cannot pull and rebury longer - need to work
with what is there - 8' poles, with 6' showing.

Thanks

You could take your pole sections to a muffler
shop and get the tech to swage "expand" one
end of the pipe so it can slip over the pipe
that is in the ground. The new section can be
attached with large TEK screws. The machines
used by the muffler shop looks like these:

http://vansantent.com/tube_bending_m...p_expander.htm

http://www.e-pipebenders.com/bend-pak-pipe-benders.php

You can get a manual exhaust pipe expanding tool
at many auto parts supply stores. Looks like:

http://tinyurl.com/2ru3hv

Personally I would have a muffler shop do the
pipes if I had more than a few.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Uncle Monster wrote:
cc wrote:
Anyone know if there is a way to extend the standrad metal poles that
support fencing via some type of collar or splice kit? ...

You could take your pole sections to a muffler
shop and get the tech to swage "expand" one
end of the pipe so it can slip over the pipe
that is in the ground. ...

Not a bad thought, but...

I doubt the muffler shop machine can do the thick (compared to muffler
stock) wall pipe...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
cc wrote:
Anyone know if there is a way to extend the standrad metal poles that
support fencing via some type of collar or splice kit? ...

You could take your pole sections to a muffler
shop and get the tech to swage "expand" one
end of the pipe so it can slip over the pipe
that is in the ground. ...

Not a bad thought, but...

I doubt the muffler shop machine can do the thick (compared to muffler
stock) wall pipe...

--

The machines are quite powerful, you can always
ask the shop owner to try.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Uncle Monster wrote:
dpb wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
cc wrote:
Anyone know if there is a way to extend the standrad metal poles that
support fencing via some type of collar or splice kit? ...

You could take your pole sections to a muffler
shop and get the tech to swage "expand" one
end of the pipe so it can slip over the pipe
that is in the ground. ...

Not a bad thought, but...

I doubt the muffler shop machine can do the thick (compared to muffler
stock) wall pipe...

--

The machines are quite powerful, you can always
ask the shop owner to try.

I'm thinking more of the die sets...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cc" wrote in message
ps.com...
Anyone know if there is a way to extend the standrad metal poles that
support fencing via some type of collar or splice kit? I need to
extend existing in ground, in concrete poles due to change of
elevation in my yard. Cannot pull and rebury longer - need to work
with what is there - 8' poles, with 6' showing.

I did a search for fence parts and found this:
http://www.hooverfence.com/pipe-fitt.../prices/14.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"cc" wrote in message
ps.com...
Anyone know if there is a way to extend the standrad metal poles that
support fencing via some type of collar or splice kit? I need to
extend existing in ground, in concrete poles due to change of
elevation in my yard. Cannot pull and rebury longer - need to work
with what is there - 8' poles, with 6' showing.

I did a search for fence parts and found this:
http://www.hooverfence.com/pipe-fitt.../prices/14.htm

How about just getting a larger diameter, and dropping it over the old pipe?
With a six-foot overlap, it is unlikely to go anywhere, but drilling a hole
and putting a pin through it should take care of tornadoes and kids getting
obnoxious.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyone know if there is a way to extend the standrad metal poles that
support fencing via some type of collar or splice kit? I

Is this a "Chain link" fence.. If so, These might work, YMMV

http://www.hooverfence.com/catalog/cpage61.htm

Curtain poles Keith Dunbar UK diy 2 June 18th 07 08:58 AM
aluminum poles leonard Woodworking 8 October 22nd 06 05:16 AM
what are those poles called? tg UK diy 19 July 31st 06 10:55 PM
"Brushed" metal finish poles and fittings. Brian Reay UK diy 3 September 10th 05 10:56 PM
Curtain poles JoeBhoy UK diy 2 November 26th 04 04:14 PM