Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting new downspouts

Hi All,

My old downspouts are peeling badly. Rather than scrape and paint, I
decided to get new ones. While I hate to thrash the old perfectly good
spouts, paint cleanup is no fun.

Question: Do I need to paint the new downspouts? They are aluminum and
already painted white, with whatever paint was used. Very thin coat. They
are from HD. Is the paint on them durable, or is it just a coat of primer?

Regards,

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair

RichK wrote:
Hi All,

My old downspouts are peeling badly. Rather than scrape and paint, I
decided to get new ones. While I hate to thrash the old perfectly
good spouts, paint cleanup is no fun.

Question: Do I need to paint the new downspouts? They are aluminum
and already painted white, with whatever paint was used. Very thin
coat. They are from HD. Is the paint on them durable, or is it just
a coat of primer?

Regards,

RichK

If it has a slight gloss to it, it is not a primer but final coat. and
should last.
A few years ago I could not find brown down spouts so I bought white and
sanded with 400 grit (very lightly) then rubbed them down with denatured
alcohol,
then painted with Krylon in the spray can (two light coats) (flat brown)
they still look great

Clark

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RichK" wrote in message
. ..
Hi All,

My old downspouts are peeling badly. Rather than scrape and paint, I
decided to get new ones. While I hate to thrash the old perfectly good
spouts, paint cleanup is no fun.

Question: Do I need to paint the new downspouts? They are aluminum and
already painted white, with whatever paint was used. Very thin coat.
They
are from HD. Is the paint on them durable, or is it just a coat of
primer?

Mine still look good after 29 years. I have no idea what brand they are but
yours will last a long time also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Question: Do I need to paint the new downspouts? They are aluminum and
already painted white, with whatever paint was used. Very thin coat.
They are from HD. Is the paint on them durable, or is it just a coat of
primer?

Mine still look good after 29 years. I have no idea what brand they are

but
yours will last a long time also.

Of course yours are were not from HD, but I'd be very happy with 2/3 of that
:-)

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 10:33 am, "RichK" wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Question: Do I need to paint the new downspouts? They are aluminum and
already painted white, with whatever paint was used. Very thin coat.
They are from HD. Is the paint on them durable, or is it just a coat of
primer?

Mine still look good after 29 years. I have no idea what brand they are

but
yours will last a long time also.

Of course yours are were not from HD, but I'd be very happy with 2/3 of that
:-)

RichK

This is a little off topic, but at my local hardware store, they
charge more for thin sheet metal downspouts than they do for thick-
walled ABS pipe, which is very paintable.

Now that I think about it, it may explain why you don't see round
metal downspouts for sale very often. Maybe manufacturers can't
compete with ABS pipe.