Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Siemens TVSS breaker question

Hi all,

bought a house last year... breaker panel is ITE/Siemens, I invested in
a 2-pole 20A combination breaker/TVSS for piece of mind. There are two
green LEDs on the front of the breaker, that show that the TVSS/surge
projection is working. Was down in the basement doing laundry the other
day and noticed that one LED is still bright while the other is dim. I
switched that pole off and it's definitely glowing, not just getting
light from the other LED, but it is noticeably dimmer than the other
one. Does this mean that the MOV in there is getting ready to s**t the
bed? Will I have to replace this breaker every year or so? At close to
$200 a pop, that could get spendy. But I did notice after I installed
it that the clock in my coffee maker stopped freaking out and I do have
lots of electronics that I'd like to keep protected.

thanks,

nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

I'd check the documentation for the breaker / suppresser for
interpretation of the LEDs, and also warranty information. The dim LED
could indicate a problem with the suppresser, or if could be a problem
with the LED (they do fail you know).
As for the cost, I'd check around a bit for better prices. I recall the
Square D QO series "Surgebreaker" which is a suppresser only that snaps
into a two pole space, was somewhere around $60.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I agree. You could also try asking the manufacturer. My guess is that it
is only significant that the LED is on or off and that the LED is the
problem.