Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

Default Holes in shingles???

I went on my roof and found that there are about 10 holes through the
shingles. They are about 1 inch long and 1/8 wide. The house is 3
years old and I just moved in. Should I replace the damaged shingles
or can i put a tar or something on them to fix them? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
I went on my roof and found that there are about 10 holes through the
shingles. They are about 1 inch long and 1/8 wide. The house is 3
years old and I just moved in. Should I replace the damaged shingles
or can i put a tar or something on them to fix them? Thanks.

Tar is just a temporary fix, replace the shingles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 10:49 pm, k wrote:
I went on my roof and found that there are about 10 holes through the
shingles. They are about 1 inch long and 1/8 wide. The house is 3
years old and I just moved in. Should I replace the damaged shingles
or can i put a tar or something on them to fix them? Thanks.

st times what you would do is slip a piece of step fllashing and a dab
or two of roof cement under the shingle. What do you imagine caused
the holes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

k wrote:
I went on my roof and found that there are about 10 holes through the
shingles. They are about 1 inch long and 1/8 wide. The house is 3
years old and I just moved in. Should I replace the damaged shingles
or can i put a tar or something on them to fix them? Thanks.

That sounds like the holes that staples make when they are
driven entirely through the shingles. Carefully pry apart the
tab with the hole in it from the shingle below. See if there
is a staple there. It may have been driven thru the shingle,
or it may be standing proud of the shingle below and worked
its way thru the shingle above.

Either way, seal the area under the shingle hole with a
polyeurethane caulk such as NP-1 or similar. Press the
shingle down onto the caulk until the caulk comes out of the hole.

It will be fine for 15 years or so.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
I went on my roof and found that there are about 10 holes through the
shingles. They are about 1 inch long and 1/8 wide. The house is 3
years old and I just moved in. Should I replace the damaged shingles
or can i put a tar or something on them to fix them? Thanks.

Check on the roof and shingle warranty. There is no point in trying to make
repairs if there is a warranty, which there certainly should be if the house
is only 3 years old.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check with your insurance company. Do you live in a hail prone area? Any recent storms? If you think it is hail damage and you can document the date of the storm then you might want to call a roofer for an opinion and they can help you work through the insurance.

In any case you need to get the shingles replaced

Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

I think the holes were caused by someone who had a ladder on the
roof. You know on some ladders there are those spikes on the feet
that rotate. I think someone punctured my roof with it and then just
left it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Forget the insurance company then

Here's an article that talks about repairing shingles. Looks like it just takes some roofing sealant. Makes sense to me.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...219567,00.html

--
Richard Thoms
President - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
k wrote:

I think the holes were caused by someone who had a ladder on the
roof. You know on some ladders there are those spikes on the feet
that rotate. I think someone punctured my roof with it and then just
left it.

Really? What do you think that person was doing, with a ladder on the
roof?
Posted to alt.home.repair

k wrote:
I think the holes were caused by someone who had a ladder on the
roof. You know on some ladders there are those spikes on the feet
that rotate. I think someone punctured my roof with it and then just
left it.

Hi,
Whoa! UFO must/ve landed on your roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

Thanks for the article. I'm wondering if the previous owner was up
there installing christmas lights in the winter and didn't see the
marks the ladder was leaving?
Who knows? Anyways I'm going to try to buy some new shingles and try
to replace the broken ones, I think thats the best thing to do.

New roof shingles: Remove thin plastic strips on back of shingles before nailing down? Joe Home Repair 34 March 10th 17 02:06 AM
shingles [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 21st 06 12:34 AM
New roof shingles: Remove thin plastic strips on back of shingles before nailing down? Joe Home Ownership 10 November 30th 04 05:04 AM
Drilling 21/32" holes in blown-out 5/8-11 holes Tom Gardner Metalworking 10 November 29th 04 08:37 AM
Shingles SteveL Home Repair 1 September 21st 04 08:09 PM