Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Got my water line done (finally)

At the suggestion of everyone here, i went ahead with going all the way to
the meter, rather that trying to hook on to the old steel line. Whole job
took 6 hours with the help of a bobcat mini excavator. We dug along side
the old line, to the side walk, then managed to get a couple of scoops on
the other side of the side walk. Hand dug the rest of the way on the meter
side. They had a copper pigtail on the meter, so we cut it at a good round
spot, doubled the pipe over on the house side, put a big cable clamp on it
and pulled it out from under the sidewalk with the bobcat. It left a nice
big tunnel we were able to push the new 3/4 copper right through there and
put a nice big brass compression union onto the existing pigtail. Other end
through the new foundation and sealed up, with a nice new ball valve on the
inside. Finished backfilling the foundation after that. WHEW! One more
thing off the list.....

steve barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
It left a nice big tunnel we were able to push the new 3/4 copper right
through there and put a nice big brass compression union onto the existing
pigtail. Other end through the new foundation and sealed up, with a nice
new ball valve on the inside. Finished backfilling the foundation after
that. WHEW! One more thing off the list.....

Nice. That is a major job to get out of the way. And done right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I had that done about 10 years ago. The increase in water pressure damn
near threw me out of the shower!

--

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:43:11 -0500, "Steve Barker"
wrote Re Got my water line done
(finally):

At the suggestion of everyone here, i went ahead with going all the way to
the meter, rather that trying to hook on to the old steel line. Whole job
took 6 hours with the help of a bobcat mini excavator.

Well done and done right! Much better than what you were originally
considering.

Thanks for the update.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.