Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I cut 6" from the bottom of a storm door?

I recently purchased a storm door for my mobile home. When I measured for
the door, I didn't think to measure the heighth, because I thought all doors
were 80-81" tall. Much to my dismay, when I got the door home, I realized
that isn't true. And I now realize the 32x74" storm door that I need isn't
something I can just run down to Home Depot and buy.

So I now have this door that is too tall, but I wondered if anyone here has
simply cut off a few inches of one of these doors and used it in their
mobile? It's a 1" solid wood door, and there doesn't appear to be anything
on the bottom of the door to keep me from just cutting across the bottom.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Brigitte

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brigitte wrote:
I recently purchased a storm door for my mobile home. When I measured for
the door, I didn't think to measure the heighth, because I thought all
doors
were 80-81" tall. Much to my dismay, when I got the door home, I realized
that isn't true. And I now realize the 32x74" storm door that I need isn't
something I can just run down to Home Depot and buy.

So I now have this door that is too tall, but I wondered if anyone here has
simply cut off a few inches of one of these doors and used it in their
mobile? It's a 1" solid wood door, and there doesn't appear to be anything
on the bottom of the door to keep me from just cutting across the bottom.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Brigitte

Hi,
Can't you return it and get a correct sized one?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 6:09 pm, "Brigitte" wrote:
I recently purchased a storm door for my mobile home. When I measured for
the door, I didn't think to measure the heighth, because I thought all doors
were 80-81" tall. Much to my dismay, when I got the door home, I realized
that isn't true. And I now realize the 32x74" storm door that I need isn't
something I can just run down to Home Depot and buy.

So I now have this door that is too tall, but I wondered if anyone here has
simply cut off a few inches of one of these doors and used it in their
mobile? It's a 1" solid wood door, and there doesn't appear to be anything
on the bottom of the door to keep me from just cutting across the bottom.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Brigitte

You are talking about removing about 6" total. You might be able to
do it by removing 3" from both the top and bottom. As for it being a
"solid wood" door, that is dubious. Most of them, especially storm
doors, are build from a cople plywood skins glued to some 1 x 2, 1x4,
and perhaps 1x6 frame members with voids filled by foam or cardboard
stiffeners.

I have cut down doors myself but nothng like 6" and even then I was
into the stiffening stuff.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 6:09 pm, "Brigitte" wrote:
I recently purchased a storm door for my mobile home. When I measured for
the door, I didn't think to measure the heighth, because I thought all doors
were 80-81" tall. Much to my dismay, when I got the door home, I realized
that isn't true. And I now realize the 32x74" storm door that I need isn't
something I can just run down to Home Depot and buy.

So I now have this door that is too tall, but I wondered if anyone here has
simply cut off a few inches of one of these doors and used it in their
mobile? It's a 1" solid wood door, and there doesn't appear to be anything
on the bottom of the door to keep me from just cutting across the bottom.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Brigitte

That is a lot to cut off. I would contact the manufacturer and ask
them. My guess is no but it does not hurt to ask.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brigitte" wrote in
:

I recently purchased a storm door for my mobile home. When I measured
for the door, I didn't think to measure the heighth, because I thought
all doors were 80-81" tall. Much to my dismay, when I got the door
home, I realized that isn't true. And I now realize the 32x74" storm
door that I need isn't something I can just run down to Home Depot and
buy.

So I now have this door that is too tall, but I wondered if anyone
here has simply cut off a few inches of one of these doors and used it
in their mobile? It's a 1" solid wood door, and there doesn't appear
to be anything on the bottom of the door to keep me from just cutting
across the bottom.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Brigitte

As someone else asked, can you return it? Trying to make a door that is
6" too tall work can get you into some really unexpected stuff.

It's a 1" solid wood door

Doesn't sound like a "storm door". Storm doors usually have some kind of
glass with metal frame with it that mounts over the door molding. Mobile
home can be very different.

Does it already have the hole for the knob? Hinge cutouts? If you start
cutting off the top and/or bottom, where will the knob end up heightwise?
If you have short visitors will they be able to reach it? :-) You going
to have to adjust the strikeplate hole in the jamb? I too am a bit
confused by your wood storm door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Brigitte wrote:
[...]

Yes, I can return it. But getting a correct sized one isn't going to be as
simple as just making an exchange. 74" is going to be a special order item.

I live in rural Nebraska and it's going to be an 80 mile drive for me to
return the door, and I really needed to get the door installed this weekend.
I wanted to get a doggy door installed into the new door this weekend,
because I'll be leaving the house for 13 hours per day for the next 5 weeks
while I'll be in training for a new job.

I'll probably end up ordering a new door, and hopefully it will be here by
next weekend, and I'll install it then. I'll just have to hire a dog sitter
for my 3 little guys for awhile.

Thanks to all that replied.

Brigitte

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brigitte" wrote in
:

Brigitte wrote:
[...]

I live in rural Nebraska

Do you have a mobile home dealer nearby that also has supplies...or can
give you a lead to one? 74" would be standard...in the mobile home arena.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brigitte wrote:
[...]

The best solution- return it. If the big-box doesn't carry stuff in the
right size, most towns have at least one dealer that specializes in mobile
home accessories, often next door to the company that moves them around when
they get too old for a particular park to accept them as tenants.

aems ends...