Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Can I cut 6" from the bottom of a storm door?

On Aug 17, 6:09 pm, "Brigitte" wrote:
I recently purchased a storm door for my mobile home. When I measured for
the door, I didn't think to measure the heighth, because I thought all doors
were 80-81" tall. Much to my dismay, when I got the door home, I realized
that isn't true. And I now realize the 32x74" storm door that I need isn't
something I can just run down to Home Depot and buy.

So I now have this door that is too tall, but I wondered if anyone here has
simply cut off a few inches of one of these doors and used it in their
mobile? It's a 1" solid wood door, and there doesn't appear to be anything
on the bottom of the door to keep me from just cutting across the bottom.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Brigitte

You are talking about removing about 6" total. You might be able to
do it by removing 3" from both the top and bottom. As for it being a
"solid wood" door, that is dubious. Most of them, especially storm
doors, are build from a cople plywood skins glued to some 1 x 2, 1x4,
and perhaps 1x6 frame members with voids filled by foam or cardboard
stiffeners.

I have cut down doors myself but nothng like 6" and even then I was
into the stiffening stuff.

Harry K