Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

Default Efficiency of Air to Air / Air Exchange / HVAC

Moved into the newly bought house and notice someone had not installed
the proper vents on the Air Exchange. I had 2 exhaust vents. Went to
the local hardware store and swapped the vent. Great...easy.

Since then my heating bills have sky rocketed. Even after filling in
'gaps' with spray insulation and other DIY jobs. I've come to the
conclusion that the air to air system is the problem.

We all know the 'X' pattern of air going trough the machine warming up
the cold exterior air before exiting and circulating trough the house.
Great... Fresh air!
But wait! I'm throwing out heat aren't I??? The system is a few years
old yes, but the 'X' pattern is the same as my parents' 2 year old
house... WTF.

I've talked about this to my father and he's also noticed that new
houses now do not hook-up the intake to the wall vent. They just let
the 4" hose hang there.
I have to double check if it's the intake or exhaust but this is were
I'm not certain what should/could be done. Your feedback is much
appreciated.

cln

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 12:12 pm, cln wrote:
[...]

What do you mean two exhaust vents? You mean two vent hoods with
flappers or what? A HRV is not perfectly efficient, but your heating
bills should not skyrocket. It should also be balanced so that your
house is not negatively or positively pressured excessively. Sounds
like you need to call either your builder or an HVAC guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

marson wrote:
On Aug 16, 12:12 pm, cln wrote:
[...]

If you have an ERV or HRV unit that exchanges with the outdoors, you NEED to
call and HVAC expert. This is an expensive piece of equipment and is not
for the DIY.

--
Zyp

Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

On Aug 17, 2:16 am, "Zyp" wrote:
marson wrote:
On Aug 16, 12:12 pm, cln wrote:
[...]

Zyp- Hide quoted text -

Ya I should've tought twice when I sent the post. Its not a HVAC but
just an Air exchanger. Not the compressor ones but just the fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

http://www.tinmanheating.com/images/perfectaire.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 10:20 am, cln wrote:
http://www.tinmanheating.com/images/perfectaire.jpg

Have you measured the outside air temp and the air temp being
exhausted outside from the exchanger? If there is a big delta, then
you know the exchanger is the source of your high heating bills.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

cln wrote:
On Aug 17, 2:16 am, "Zyp" wrote:
marson wrote:
On Aug 16, 12:12 pm, cln wrote:
[...]

Hmmm... you mean like H=Heating, V=VENTILATION, AC=Air Conditioning, You
mean like that?

If I'm not mistaken, it is an exhaust VENTILATOR tied to the HVAC system,
with a diesicant wheel for performing an energy exchange with the exhausted
air.

If the energy wheel becomes overloaded with material or moisture, it won't
work.

Call your local HVAC shop, ask if they are familuar with an ERV [Energy
Recovery Ventilator] or HRV [Heat Recovery Ventilator] or if they could
recommend someone who is.

--
Zyp

Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

On Aug 18, 6:15 am, wrote:
On Aug 17, 10:20 am, cln wrote:

http://www.tinmanheating.com/images/perfectaire.jpg

Have you measured the outside air temp and the air temp being
exhausted outside from the exchanger? If there is a big delta, then
you know the exchanger is the source of your high heating bills.

I will try this when the temperatures drops. The weather has been the
same as the inside.

(Ironically there is a risk of frost! sick that we are only august and
I bet we won't even have a white x-mas either)

I will keep you posted.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

On Aug 18, 5:19 pm, "Zyp" wrote:
[...]