Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "free" dish installation

Driving around my neighborhood I noticed that many if not all of the
satellite dishes are not installed to code for grounding. Many are on
the side of the house opposite the electrical service so there is no
outdoor connection to a common ground. I dont see a local rod or
arrestor box for the lead in on many. Many have no ground at all,
just a dish and a wire. Is this true in your area too for satellite?
Should I ask my mayor to begin a crackdown on these installs? The
"free" installation seems to be cutting some corners, or are dishes
not held to the same grounding standards as antennas, gas line, phone,
cable, etc? It's a utility isn't it? So shouldn't it be grounded to
the common electrical service ground like all the other utilities
coming into your home? I'm thinking of getting DishTV but dont like
"hole in the roof" installations, now bad grounding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm thinking of getting DishTV but dont like
"hole in the roof" installations, now bad grounding.

Go with Directv then. I have Directv and have NO holes in my roof and
it's grounded.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 6:51?pm, "
wrote:
I'm thinking of getting DishTV but dont like
"hole in the roof" installations, now bad grounding.

Go with Directv then. I have Directv and have NO holes in my roof and
it's grounded.

arond here the installs by DNSC are flawless, thats dish network
service corporation their corporate owned install service group.

you dont necessarily need a ground rod, you unify ground with the main
home ground.

my dishes is attached to my deck for ease of snow removal and general
service. the last place you want a dish is on a roof or worse a
chimney......

At one time I was a dish dealer but hated working outdoors in the cold

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote in
oups.com:

Driving around my neighborhood I noticed that many if not all of the
satellite dishes are not installed to code for grounding. Many are on
the side of the house opposite the electrical service so there is no
outdoor connection to a common ground. I dont see a local rod or
arrestor box for the lead in on many. Many have no ground at all,
just a dish and a wire. Is this true in your area too for satellite?
Should I ask my mayor to begin a crackdown on these installs? The
"free" installation seems to be cutting some corners, or are dishes
not held to the same grounding standards as antennas, gas line, phone,
cable, etc? It's a utility isn't it? So shouldn't it be grounded to
the common electrical service ground like all the other utilities
coming into your home? I'm thinking of getting DishTV but dont like
"hole in the roof" installations, now bad grounding.

a non-code,ungrounded installation would leave the installer/company open
to expensive lawsuits.

IMO,dish TV service is not considered a "utility".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
Driving around my neighborhood I noticed that many if not all of the
satellite dishes are not installed to code for grounding. Many are on
the side of the house opposite the electrical service so there is no
outdoor connection to a common ground. I dont see a local rod or
arrestor box for the lead in on many. Many have no ground at all,
just a dish and a wire. Is this true in your area too for satellite?
Should I ask my mayor to begin a crackdown on these installs? The
"free" installation seems to be cutting some corners, or are dishes
not held to the same grounding standards as antennas, gas line, phone,
cable, etc? It's a utility isn't it? So shouldn't it be grounded to
the common electrical service ground like all the other utilities
coming into your home? I'm thinking of getting DishTV but dont like
"hole in the roof" installations, now bad grounding.

The purpose of an antenna ground is to dissipate static electricity
generated by wind passing over the unit.

This static electricity, if not drained, not only interferes with reception,
but acts as a lightning magnet. It is remotely possible that grounding the
unit will also function as a lightning rod. (Lightning rods should have a
pointed tip somewhere)

The worst place for a dish antenna is on the roof and a roof location should
be used only if surrounding trees or buildings make access to the southern
sky otherwise impossible. Concrete an 8' pole in your backyard and mount the
dish on that or nail the sucker to your patio railing. You'll be glad you
did.