Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default "free" dish installation

RickH wrote in
oups.com:

Driving around my neighborhood I noticed that many if not all of the
satellite dishes are not installed to code for grounding. Many are on
the side of the house opposite the electrical service so there is no
outdoor connection to a common ground. I dont see a local rod or
arrestor box for the lead in on many. Many have no ground at all,
just a dish and a wire. Is this true in your area too for satellite?
Should I ask my mayor to begin a crackdown on these installs? The
"free" installation seems to be cutting some corners, or are dishes
not held to the same grounding standards as antennas, gas line, phone,
cable, etc? It's a utility isn't it? So shouldn't it be grounded to
the common electrical service ground like all the other utilities
coming into your home? I'm thinking of getting DishTV but dont like
"hole in the roof" installations, now bad grounding.

a non-code,ungrounded installation would leave the installer/company open
to expensive lawsuits.

IMO,dish TV service is not considered a "utility".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik