Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Step Flashing

Have done bunches of step flashing. I know they sell prebent 5x7's but
usually just make my own since it's only my time and usually have a roll
of 10x10 or 10x14 aluminum around. Have always made them 5" up the wall
and 5" on to the deck in 7" lengths.

Anyway, I was at the Borg and see they sell prebent ones. These suck
because they are only 4" coverage. But I happened to notice they sell 5x7
flat alum plates...like one leg of of the ones I make. Never was sure
what these were for.

Today I happened to be thinking while looking at the existing step
flashing on a roof I'm doing (the last of 8 planes on this 26 sq house).
This house has vinyl siding. The bottom channel of the siding is nailed
to the vertical wall right at the flashing so you can't just slide the
old flashing out and slip new in. Either pull the channel off and a row
of siding to replace the flashing or just cover the nailholes from the
old shingles in the flashing roof leg and reuse as is.

Now I'm thinking about these 5x7 flat alum plates that are with the
prebent flashing. Are these things meant specifically for this situation?
Just put it over the roof leg of the old flashing to cover the old holes?
That's all I could come up with. Doesn't completely make sense since
water ice could get between the old flashing leg and these plates.

I prefer to take the time and put new step flashing in. Pulling the
siding channel and a course of siding isn't gonna take that much time.

Curious Al....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote in
:

[...]

Well, got an answer. While at local building supply (not Borg!) this
morning I humbled and asked the guy. He says that's all they sell is 5x7
flat plates. Says that's what the trades people use now. They bend a 5x7
to a step.

Boy, just another example of picking away little by little over time till
your almost down to nothing and it's industry standard...sigh.