Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cracked foundation walls

I'm having a house built in Cheyenne. It has an 8' basement with 6'
below grade and 2' above grade. I am have a Bilco basement door
installed with the new home. The basement walls were poured so a 6'
deep cement rectangular horse shoe (6' out and 4' across) would house
the steps leading into the basement from the outside. The top of the
basement step inclosure is at grade level. The walls of the enclosure
are the same 8" thick as the basement walls.

Something has caused the end portion of the enclosure to crack down to
at least the basement floor. There is crack on each 6' section of the
enclosure which leave the 4' section and about 1' of the 6' section as
a seperate entity from the rest of the structure. I am guessing that
the cement truck ran over the enclosure when it was delivering the
cement to finish the basement floor thus causing the breakage.

I am concerned that these cracks can expand over time. There is rebar
in the concrete. Is there anything that can be done to prevent
continued movement of the 4' section? Thanks for any help. - Robert

Below, I kind of drew the situation using the computer. The
parentisis are simulating the cracks.

!
! ----- basement wall
!
!______)__
!
______)__! --- stair enclosure
!
!
!
!

Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

I has a similar experience with cracks between a porch wall and the cellar
wall. I am in sand so there hasn't been any heaving in the 29 years that the
house has been here, but the cracks form a perfect, hidden path for
termites. If your soil is stable you might not have structural issues

ups.com...