Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Dr. Reuse

Default Lake cabin with cracked foundation

I am looking at purchasing a repo lake cabin. It's a fixer upper and
will need work. What concerns me is the cracked foundation on one
corner (out of the walkout basement)where a section concrete block has
come out about 4 inches. It looks like it's been this way for awhile
and it was patched with mortar. It's hard to say how big the original
crack was. I'm having a home inspection done but
no foundation repair companies will come out and give me an estimate
because I'm not the homebuyer. It doesn't look like it would fall
over or is unsafe but I have no experience in foundation repairs and
I'd like an expert opinion from someone who does that work. We intend
to use it as a summer cabin for weekends and vacations. It's over
1200 square feet inside, the lake is beautiful, and the cabin is going
for under $20,000. I'm looking for
others experience and thoughts or someone that had to repair a cracked
basement. It seems it would be better to eat the home inspection cost
and back out than buy something that will need $$$$ of dollars to
repair.

Any advice? Thank you.

Dan.